Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2015 02:00

UPGRADATION OF MY DELL LAPTOP PROCESSOR

Hi,

I have a Dell Laptop Inspiron 3537 laptop purchased two years ago. The configuration of the laptop is as mentioned below:

Intel Core i5 (4200u) 
Intel HD Graphics 4400+ AMD Radeon 8670 HD (2GB)
6 GB Memory 
15.6" Screen (1366x768 max resolution) 
DVD R/W 
2x USB 3.0 
2x USB 2.0 
Gigabit Ethernet 
Bluetooth 
HDMI OUT

My question is can I upgrade the processor of this laptop with a better i5 or i7 processor of higher processing speed?

July 22nd, 2015 04:00

Mr. Farooq thanks for your reply, can you tell me if I replace my current i5 4200u by i5 ULV/ i7 ULV processor what could be the improvement in performance?

Secondly, where can I upgrade it? And, how much will be the cost of upgradation? Any contact information or link regarding this will be very helpful.

Thank You in advance once again.

332 Posts

Hi Sandipanarnab,

The Inspiron 3537 supports 4th Generation Intel Core™ i7 ULV and Intel Core™ i5 ULV processors and the maximum memory supported is 16 GB with 1600 MHz DDR3L memory type.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The performance increase will be tied to the applications you run - if they're processor-intensive (games, spreadsheets) it'll be more significant than for word processing, browsing, etc.

Note that to do the upgrade, the entire mainboard must be changed - not just the CPU.  The CPU is soldered to the board.  The cost of a board with an i7 CPU will be $300+.  Add another $100 or so for labor and you're likely better off selling the system and buying a new one.

Thanks for your reply, I had actually considered this option before posting this question, but as the cost of such a configured laptop in India is more than 1100$ and as my laptop is only more than a year old thus, I gave up on this. And, considered upgrading it. Anyhow thanks for your reply, I will be grateful if you can tell me where can I upgrade this, will it be upgradable at local Dell service center?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2015 05:00

Dell does not support CPU upgrades - you'll need to find a board and install it yourself, or have a local shop do the job.

You may need other parts (upgraded power supply for one) as well as the board/CPU -- and if there's a warranty on the system, replacing the mainboard will void that warranty.

No Events found!