Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

12 Posts

October 23rd, 2007 19:00

UPS service won't start/no UPS tab in Power Options

I can't start the "Uninterruptible Power Supply" service in XP Pro sp2; I get: "Could not start the Uninterruptible Power Supply service on Local Computer. Error 2481: The UPS service is not configured correctly." (I'm trying to start this service so the UPS tab will display in Power Options so I can get my laptop to communicate with my APC Smart-UPS v/s 650 on COM4 via a Keyspan USB Serial Adaptor.) please help, thanks! Bill E1505

2.4K Posts

October 24th, 2007 16:00

Have you done this ?:

12 Posts

October 24th, 2007 16:00

thanks, but that link is not helpful, as it advises one to go to the UPS tab in Power Options, and as I wrote initially the whole problem is that I'm trying to GET a UPS tab to display in Power Options, i.e. I currently have *no* UPS tab.

2.4K Posts

October 24th, 2007 18:00

Sorry Bill. At this point I can only throw out some ideas. If it's just a case of putting the tab back in a registry edit or creating a 'show ups tab' might solve your problem.

Have you run the "sfc /scannow" command ?

Is there a snap-in that you could re-apply ?

Have you confirmed that that model is XP-compatible, ie MS HCL ?

Do you have the most recent APC software installed ?

Are all device drivers (including hidden ones) working and enabled ?

Do you have sufficient rights ?

Have you tried with and without APC Power Chute sw  installed ?

Did you see the answer to your TechArena post re COM ports ?

Have you done up-to-date virus and spyware scans ? (Something knocked out the tab.)

I have a few links to post but review the ideas I've thrown out and get back to me. Would you say you're an advanced computer user ?

12 Posts

October 26th, 2007 01:00

@maxd wrote:
Sorry Bill. At this point I can only throw out some ideas. If it's just a case of putting the tab back in a registry edit or creating a 'show ups tab' might solve your problem.
Have you run the "sfc /scannow" command ?
Is there a snap-in that you could re-apply ?
Have you confirmed that that model is XP-compatible, ie MS HCL ?
Do you have the most recent APC software installed ?
Are all device drivers (including hidden ones) working and enabled ?
Do you have sufficient rights ?
Have you tried with and without APC Power Chute sw installed ?
Did you see the answer to your TechArena post re COM ports ?
Have you done up-to-date virus and spyware scans ? (Something knocked out the tab.)
I have a few links to post but review the ideas I've thrown out and get back to me. Would you say you're an advanced computer user ?

Hi Max, before reading your post I would have called myself an advanced user, but not on the level of some of your ideas! To clarify, I want the UPS tab to appear; I'm just guessing that my inability to start the UPS service is the problem. But for all I know, maybe the tab would appear otherwise, but isn't because for all I know maybe 'it' doesn't know I've got a UPS connected. I had found a link suggesting a regedit, but in the registry entry I didn't find an entry for the UPS tab to modify. I've never heard of "sfc /scannow", but I'll run it and see if it helps, thanks! I have no idea what a "snap-in" is. I just went to microsoft.com/HCL but NOTHING by APC is on that list. The APC software including Power Chute won't work with my UPS, which is why I need to use XP's UPS service. The USB Serial adaptor I'm using is working great. I made a TechArena post? My scans are current. Anyway...thanks for your attention! Bill

12 Posts

October 26th, 2007 21:00

@maxd wrote:
These are not your threads ?

oops, sorry I hadn't seen the replies yet; it appears hopeless, thanks!
No Events found!