Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2012 16:00

URGENTLY NEED Windows 8 drivers for Geforce GTX 260M & 9400M G

I have an Alienware M17X with an Integrated NVidia 9400M G & dual GTX 260M's.  I upgraded my OS to Windows 8 and now my NVidia drivers no longer work.  I can't find any Win 8 drivers on Dell's site for these vid chips.  When I visit the nVidia site it will scan my laptop, tell me what hardware I have, but it tells me I have to get the drivers from my mfg website.  nVidia has had updated Windows 8 drivers for quite some time. Where are Dell's drivers?  Where is Dell's support on this??

Furthermore, why is it there has only been ONE video driver update in over 2 years?  When I spend close to $3,000 on a "gaming laptop"(and yes that is what the M17X's are advertised as), I expect a higher level of service.  I didn't buy this laptop to browse the web and run Microsoft Office. 

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 10th, 2012 16:00

Verde R295 Driver

Version:296.10 WHQL

Release Date:2012.03.13

Operating System:Windows Vista, Windows 7

Language:English (U.S.)

File Size:161 MB

Download DirectX Redist (June 2010)

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

us.download.nvidia.com/.../296.10-notebook-win7-winvista-32bit-international-whql.exe

Version:295.73 WHQL

Release Date:2012.02.21

Operating System:Windows 8 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit

Language:English (U.S.)

File Size:201 MB

us.download.nvidia.com/.../295.73-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe

7 Posts

December 10th, 2012 19:00

No I need Windows 8 drivers.  These don't work, won't even install.

2.6K Posts

December 10th, 2012 19:00

Hello Ccox,

Please click here to install the nVidia GTX 260M- windows 8 drivers. 

7 Posts

December 11th, 2012 07:00

I downloaded the 306.97 drivers.  However after I click on "Setup" and the "Installer" comes up, it stops the installation and says.. "NVIDIA INSTALLER CANNOT CONTINUE: This graphics drivers could not find compatible graphics hardware".  

My M17X has an nVidia 9400M G & dual Geforce GTX 260Ms.  Yet the nVidia installer can't find the hardware?  Am I doing something wrong?  Or do I need to be doing anything else here?

Your assistance is appreciated.

2.6K Posts

December 11th, 2012 21:00

Hi,

I would suggest you do a clean re-installation of the video card.

-- Uninstall all the applications for nVidia from the Program and Features.
1. Click on start.
2. Click on Control Panel.
3. Program and Features.
4. Uninstall every program related to nVidia.

-- Delete the folder named Video from the Dell Drivers Folder.
1.  Click on Start.
2.  Click on Computers.
3.  Open the C Drive.
4.  Open the Folder named Dell.
5.  Open the Folder named Drivers.
6.  Delete the Folder named Video.

-- Uninstall the Video Drivers from the Device manager.
Start -> Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Display Adapters (Right Click and uninstall the nVidia 9400M).

Please do check in the startup items as well, if there is anything related to nVidia. Disable it.
Start -> Run -> MSCONFIG -> StartUp.
Restart the computer.

-- Download and re-install the drivers for nVidia 9400M.

Please try the steps and write back to us, I would be glad to assist.

7 Posts

December 12th, 2012 05:00

I have totally removed the v306.97 drivers, deleted the folders and uninstalled from Device Manager.  But still nothing, I'm still getting the same answer..  "NVIDIA INSTALLER CANNOT CONTINUE: This graphics drivers could not find compatible graphics hardware".  I'm at a complete loss as to what to do, or why this isn't working

2.6K Posts

December 14th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

To assist you further with issue, I’d request you to private message me the system service tag number, so that I can escalate the matter to our product research team for the resolution. To private message, click on my user name and click start conversation. 

Awaiting your response!

2 Posts

December 15th, 2012 13:00

I have the same problem an alienware m17x laptop with a GTX 260M GeForce card. I am trying to upgrade to Windows 8 and I get the same error with the 306.97 NVidia Drivers

7 Posts

December 15th, 2012 17:00

@ tonsager:  I found a somewhat complicated workaround.  After researching this on the web, I discovered the reason my drivers couldn't detect the 260M hardware was because the "Hardware ID #'s" from my video chips were not listed in the .inf  files in the 306.97 drivers.  Therefore I was forced to do the following..

1. Go into the "List Devices" file(found in the Video Driver folder) and edit it to include my Hardware ID#'s for both my 9400M G and GTX 260M's.  There are different .inf sections in the List Devices file.  So I found the closest other Hardware ID#, and wrote down what section it was in.  Then edited the List Devices file to include my Hardware ID#.

2. Whichever .inf section name I had written down, then I went into that .inf file and edited it to include my Hardware ID#'s(for me it was the nvdm.inf file)  I had to input my Hardware ID#'s 4 different places in the nvdm.inf file.

3.  After editing my video driver files, but before I actually installed the drivers, I had to go into Advanced Shutdown options and select the option 7.  Which boots windows up but disables the Electronic Signature Requirement.

4.  After my laptop booted back up I installed the drivers, then restarted my laptop the normal way.   And voila... my 260M drivers were working.

One issue I am still having is, my M17X won't load both the 9400M G AND the GTX 260Ms at the same time.   Either one or the other.   So I had to go into my system BIOS and disable the Integrated and Hybrid graphics options.  I havn't figured out why both my 9400M G &  GTX 260M's aren't able to both load at the same time.  But the 260M's are whats important to me.  Considering I run them in SLI mode.  

Oh, and you find your video drivers Hardware ID#'s in the Device Manager.   Go to details, and under "Property", select the Hardware ID# option.  Your ID# will look something like this.. PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0618&SUBSYS_02A11028

Hope this helps.

2 Posts

December 17th, 2012 11:00

Wow, this seems overly complicated...I guess Nvidia is NOT ready for Windows 8 yet then. :)

I don't know if I will have that much time to devote to get Windows 8 installed right away.

Thanks a ton for your help!

1 Message

January 8th, 2013 14:00

Hi

I have done following after installing Windows 8

Install driver from here: 

Graphic card driver: 

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukdhs1/DriverDetails/Product/alienware-m17x?driverId=R279498&osCode=WV64&fileId=2731114240

Restart and then update your drivers from DEVICE MANAGER

My Alienware Works fine now

All the best

JK

13 Posts

April 26th, 2013 09:00

Dell locked up the card and warned NVIDIA not to give support to the driver so we can upgrade from them. I'll choose death before I buy from DELL again. I'm using W8 and I can't use the latest NVIDIA driver. My $4000.00 laptop is being used to read on the internet and Microsoft word. I wish is for dell to go bankrupt.

No Events found!