Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

4 Posts

November 20th, 2004 12:00

USB 2?

My problem is that I have a new external DVD r/rw and it uses USB 2. Whenever I play a DVD the sound skips. This is the second drive I have tried so I am sure it's not the drive.
I have an Inspiron 8200. My specs on DELL.com just say USB. I assume this means I don't have USB 2.0. If this is correct how can I upgrade/ resolve this problem?

Thanks!

366 Posts

November 20th, 2004 12:00

I am pretty sure that laptop does not support USB 2 which means data transfer from the external drive will be limited by the slower USB standard.  The skipping is likely due to the drive not being able to supply data quick enough to keep up with the pace of the movie being watched.  One solution would be to purchase a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card.  This would allow you to connect and operate the external drive at USB 2 speeds.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 20th, 2004 13:00

The 8200 and all other C-chassis Inspiron and Latitudes are USB 1.1. You do need a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card.

4 Posts

November 20th, 2004 19:00

Thanks for the quick response!

Tried to search Dell for an upgrade but only found one match for a laptop. Unfortunately the card looks like it goes where my wireless card is so I guess I'll have to phone for the right part.

9 Posts

November 21st, 2004 01:00

The card you are looking for can be purchased at Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, etc. and works very well.  You can purchase this with multiple USB 2.0 ports or a combination of USB 2.0 and firewire ports.  The one that I used on my I8100 was made by Adaptec and worked well.
No Events found!