Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2011 14:00

USB 3 device disconnects with decreasing speed.

Hello all,

I've recently returned an XPS15 l502x due to its huge weight and size (for a 15") and got it replaced with a Vostro 3350.  Awesome screen and sound system on the XPS though, I'll miss those.  But the weight and size, plasticky finish ... returned.

To the point.  I've noticed a problem that is common to both laptop models with the integrated Renesas USB3 controller.  I dont know whether its hardware, firmware or driver based ... but the problem is there.

I've seen a similar post in this forum for other recent laptop models with the Renesas controller.

My current issue is with long file transfers over USB3 resulting in the device disconnecting and having to be unplugged and reconnected for windows to redetect them.  The transfer is basically aborted after a while (time it takes varies) and its extremely annoying to have to retransfer folders.  I've also noticed the speed decreasing throughout the transfer before it stops.

Please fix this Dell.  USB3's high speed is there to be able to transfer large volumes of data fast, no to connect mice and cameras - USB 1.1 or 2.0 suffice for that.  So please dont say "well, the mouse works, right?".  USB3 was designed for the higher transfer speed and it isnt working on these laptops.

This IS a problem.  Workarounds are not acceptable (e.g. disable power management on the USB ports, retry failed transfers, search for whatever firmware on other manufacturer's site, etc).

Anyway, please fix it.

P.S.  Service Tag recognition isnt working for my replacement Vostro 3350 and the Dell tech who attended me on the phone said that a software upgrade was being done on the system that handles these and that it wasnt working because of that.  And then was told that the phone queue/line for techs handling Vostro 3350 issues wasn't responding.  Not long waits ... not responding.  I'll see what they say when I call again in an hour, as I was advised to do.

Update:  I tried installing a linux distro from a USB stick and the installation failed when connected to either of the USB3 ports on my Vostro 3350.  However when connected to the USB 2 port it installed correctly.

This tells me that it isnt a Windows driver issue.  Looks like a firmware or BIOS update is necessary.  My firmware version for the Renesas USB 3.0 Host Controller is 4025.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 16th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

I have the same problem with Wistron USB 3 Host Controller. When I plug external hdd with usb2.0 to usb3 it works fine. But when I plug external usb3 hdd it didn't work. I must plug/unplug it 5-10 times before it starts.

It's very annoying... please fix this!

I have latest driver A031.12.14.0(TI) / 2.0.32.0(NEC) and latest bios A07 on my vostro 3350.

3 Posts

February 16th, 2012 05:00

Download the latest driver from here downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx it is even newer than Dell's, fixed all my driver problems with the Renesas USB 3.0 controller...this is a driver issue related to conflicts with other software installed, in my case, the TV Turner, but it seems that the manufacturer has fixed this problem with this driver...it is not a hardware issue...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 17th, 2012 02:00

Now everything works fine! thx :)

No Events found!