Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

T

44 Posts

August 28th, 2005 20:00

USB Autorun

I have a dell 128 mb usb drive that I keep a program on I use for my company. This program, when executed, updates virus definitions, clears cookies, etc. (all things that the employees don't normally do and we like to do to keep the computers safe) However, putting the drive in, opening the drive and program if a hassle for so many computers. Is there a way for me to make the program automatically run when I plug the drive in (like a cd does). If anyone knows anyway to do this, it would be greatly appreciated.

44 Posts

September 3rd, 2005 00:00

Any way to do it without buying a new device?

15 Posts

September 3rd, 2005 18:00

Here is a copy/paste from microsoft "USB Storage - FAQ for Driver and Hardware Developers"

Q: What must I do to trigger Autorun on my USB storage device?
The Autorun capabilities are restricted to CD-ROM drives and fixed disk drives. If you need to make a USB storage device perform Autorun, the device must not be marked as a removable media device and the device must contain an Autorun.inf file and a startup application.

The removable media device setting is a flag contained within the SCSI Inquiry Data response to the SCSI Inquiry command. Bit 7 of byte 1 (indexed from 0) is the Removable Media Bit (RMB). A RMB set to zero indicates that the device is not a removable media device. A RMB of one indicates that the device is a removable media device. Drivers obtain this information by using the StorageDeviceProperty request.

For more information about the SCSI Inquiry command, see the T10 committee located at http://www.t10.orgThis link leaves the Microsoft.com site

For more information about the StorageDeviceProperty, see the STORAGE_DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR storage structure in the Windows DDK, located at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/storage/hh/storage/structs-general_3c393126-f5c8-47d8-bfb5-6127ce656e9a.xml.asp.

For more information on Autorun.inf files see the "Creating an AutoRun-Enabled Application" article located at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/autorun/autoplay_works.asp.

44 Posts

September 3rd, 2005 18:00

Ok so it can be changed- any idea how? I can't really see the article saying how it can be done.

15 Posts

September 3rd, 2005 23:00

USB Storage devices tend to announce that they're ESDI drives to the OS. The OS has a palette of settings that it loads up based on the settings for the various devices, and ESDI devices are basically NOT considered "removeable" by the OS.
I don't think you can manually change this. The drive I mentioned above has built in code that announces itself as removable storage.
I don't have any other information about this other than, I hear that there may be a way to tell the OS to look for an autorun file for ESDI drives which would be a workaround for this issue. but, other than that it will either take the flash drive manufactures to hard code some info onto the drives like the manufacturers of the UD-RW drive did, or for microsoft to add autorun support for USB drives in the Windows OS.

Message Edited by csmith106 on 09-03-2005 08:10 PM

No Events found!