Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2016 00:00

USB-C conmpatibility

I found by bitter experience that USB-C in DELL Inspiron is not compatible with USB-C on DELL AD200 adapter.

To connect the Inspiron 7368 to external monitors and projectors I have to buy another USB-C to VGA/HDMI/USB 3.0/Ethernet adapter.

All offers for USB-C adapters mention that it is for MacBook.

Please reply to the following questions:

1. What is the underlying standard behind the USB-C connector on the Inspiron 7368 2-in-1: USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, Thunderbolt or some other standard?

2. Are USB-C adapters for MacBook compatible with the USB-C connector on DELL Inspiron 7368?

2. What can be done and what cannot be done with the USB-C on the Inspiron 7368:

• is it bi-directional, i.e. can it charge the battery of the laptop from an external power bank AND charge other devices like smartphones?
  • connect to external monitor's DisplayPort or HDMI via an adapter?
  • connect to Ethernet via USB-C - RJ45 adapter?
  • connect to USB 3.0 and/or 3.1 devices?

Best regards,

Stefan Penchev

December 29th, 2016 14:00

Hi Stefan,

I don't have a solution for you. But I had the same problem though Dell support initially told me that D200 is compatible.

However my Dell D3100 port replicator can be connected to USB-C slot in my Inspiron and works perfectly fine. I have also used a generic USB-C to Ethernet adaptor with my Inspiron and it worked fine.

It is a very poor engineering and support from Dell with their D200 and lack of knowledge about their product.

No Events found!