Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2013 04:00

USB Device not recognized

I have a Dell 1545 Inspiron Computer with Vista Ultimate OS.  Yesterday for the 2nd time, my mouse and printer won't work because I get the error message USB Device not recognized. 

About 3 weeks ago I had the same problem and it self-corrected itself when the latest Windows Update apparently fixed it. 

I know there is nothing truly wrong with the USB devices but am not sure what to do.  If there is a particular driver for this as my backup DVD for this computer has lots of them listed it would be greatly appreciated.  I am currently running a System Check but am not sure if that is going to work. 

1.1K Posts

March 4th, 2013 18:00

Hi ontarioaccountant,

I will recommend you to uninstall USB root hubs from the device manager and re-install Chipset drivers:

• Click on 'Start' and right click on 'Computer'.
  • Click on 'Manage' and click on 'Device Manager'.
  • Expand 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers'.
  • Right click on each entry with the name 'USB root hubs' and click on 'uninstall'.
  • Restart the system and install the below drivers:

Intel GM45 Express Chipset Family: http://dell.to/Y9zRKT
Realtek RTS5158E Card Reader: http://dell.to/XHOgAG

Steps to install a driver:

• Click on 'Download File'.
  • Select 'Single-file download' and click on 'Continue'.
  • Click on 'Save' and save the driver on the desktop.
  • Right click on the driver from the desktop and select 'Run as administrator'.
  • Install the driver following the on screen instructions.
  • Restart the system after the installation is done.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

March 4th, 2013 19:00

Thank you for your answer.  However I regret to report that it had no effect.  Would another chipset be more effective or should I wait for a windows update like the last time?

March 4th, 2013 20:00

Check Administrative Tools  - services and see if usb detection is disabled - I would recomend automatic.

March 5th, 2013 04:00

I went to administrative tools - services and in the long list it did not show USB detection.    When I open up the services it shows a long list and there are 2 tabs at the bottom (similar to what you see in Excel), one says Standard and the other is extended.  But the term USB detection is not shown.  Perhaps it is listed differently?

1.1K Posts

March 6th, 2013 23:00

Hi ontarioaccountant,

Inspiron 1545 has 3 USB ports; 2 on the left and 1 on the right of the system. Check if any of the ports is working. Alternatively, check the functionality of the printer and the mouse on any other system. Also, make sure UPnP Device Host service is set to 'Automatic':

• Click on 'Start'and click on 'Run'.
  • Type 'services.msc' in a small window that will open and press enter.
  • Scroll up and down and look for 'UPnP Device Host' 
  • Highlight it and click on 'Start' on the left side of the window.
  • Restart the system and check th functionality of the USB ports.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

March 7th, 2013 15:00

I did what you suggested but I should tell you that when I highlighted the UPnP there was no "Start" on the left side of the window.  It was near the top next to File under the Action and the "Start" was faded as though you couldn't select it as it was already started.  The Service was already set to automatic.  I highlighted the UPnP line and a small window popped up and it said, "Service Status:  Started".  I manually stopped it and then started it again and then restarted the system to no avail.  

Perhaps my computer is too old as its 4 years old.  

March 9th, 2013 11:00

I turned the computer on 20 minutes ago and the problem is now gone.  My gut is telling me that its because of the mp3 player that I have because each time this problem happened, it was charging on my computer.  For now I won't use that mp3 player ever again just to see.  If the problem happens again, I will be getting a new computer.  

No Events found!