Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

October 3rd, 2017 16:00

USB Keyboard Hangs/Quits working on XPS15 9550 and Thunderbolt Dock TB16 . W10Pro x64

I have been experiencing issues with my USB keyboard on my XPS15 9550 w/TB16 Dock when the Logitech G610 USB keyboard is plugged into TB16 USB 2.0 port in the back.

The keyboard will hang, accepting no input. or may hang on a certain letter, thus producing an "aaaaaaaa" across the screen until the keyboard "comes back".

Keyboard seems to work fine while plugged directly into the XPS15 rather than the TB16.

I also have an external USB drive for backups that I use connected to the TB16, although seems to be functioning fine. I have not had a backup fail, so, I assume it is working fine.

I have tried downloading all of the drivers, and re-installing them in the proper order according to the documentation while disconnected from the TB16, and then connecting to the dock.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue?  Is it the dock or the 9550?

8 Posts

I have no Citrix Receiver. I have downloaded the latest BIOS/Drivers and installed in this Order:

BIOS for System

Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver

Intel Thunderbolt 3 Firmware Update

Intel HD Graphics Driver

ASMedia USB 3.0 Extended Host Controller Driver for Dell Thunderbolt Dock

Realtek  USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver for Dell Thunderbolt Dock and Dell Dock

Realtek USB Audio Driver for Dell Thunderbolt Dock and Dell Dock

Edit: No Citrix Receiver involved

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

If you happen to run Citrix Receiver, make sure you're running at least version 4.9, since earlier versions are known to cause USB issues with the TB16, although that typically presents as the USB ports not working at all.  If not, then there was also an issue with intermittent USB device disconnects that was eventually solved through a combination of drivers and firmware, so when you say you've downloaded all of the drivers, please confirm that includes:

- BIOS

- Thunderbolt firmware

- Thunderbolt software

- ASMedia USB Host Controller driver

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 17:00

What version of Citrix Receiver? And if it’s at least 4.9 (which confusingly shows as 14.9 in Programs and Features....), did you update that before installing the ASMedia driver? Older versions can interfere with installing, updating, or even uninstalling that driver. There’s a Dell KB article about it.

8 Posts

October 3rd, 2017 19:00

I apologize, that was a typo, there is No Citrix Receiver involved in this issue. Sorry about that!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 20:00

Ok, in that case I'm not aware of any other widely reported issues or fixes.  It's certainly possible that there's an interoperability issue between your keyboard and the USB hub controller on the dock.  Those incompatibilities do occur every now and then with certain device combinations, which is why one of the first recommended troubleshooting measures for USB connectivity issues is to connect directly to the PC rather than going through one or more hubs.  My only remaining suggestion (and this is admittedly a long shot) would be to try using a USB 3.0 port on the TB16 if possible, simply because I know the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 connector has a dedicated USB 2.0 channel completely separate from any other traffic, so I'm wondering if using a 3.0 port might route the keyboard through a different controller that might not introduce the problems you're experiencing.  The reason I think it's a long shot is because if the TB16's USB 2.0 ports DO use this dedicated channel to go straight to the host, then I would expect the keyboard to work now given that it apparently works when directly connected to the PC, but if you haven't already tried a 3.0 port, it can't hurt.

8 Posts

October 4th, 2017 06:00

I will try plugging it into the 3.0 port and see what happens.

I have another keyboard from Corsair that I tried.  What I noticed when I plugged that one in was, while it did not hang, the back light for the keys would flicker occasionally.  Come to think of it, i keep trying the same port.  Im going to also try a different USB 2.0 port and see what that does.

I have also gotten some windows updates through the Windows Insider Program.  Not sure if that may be the culprit.

If anything I will do a clean install of Windows and see if that changes anything.  Making backups between each update/upgrade.

No Events found!