Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2011 21:00

USB Mass Storage device with yellow exclamation mark

Hi everybody,

In fact, I have posted this thread but it messing with other problems so I think I'm going to make new topic.

I plugged my external drive and everything works fine (also try the flash drive)

And I click Safely Remove Hardware on the taskbar after finish using it...

But when I Safely Remove Hardware on taskbar it has yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager and Devices and Printers(start>Devices and Printers) as well. The problem is the light of external drive isn't gone, so I scare of drive damaging.

My last topic have recieved one solution which is "buy new usb hub", but I don't think it's about usb hub because when I tried plug in flash drive and safely remove, it is also same exactly external drive. But when I used eject from Computer (Start>Computer>[right click at flash drive]> eject) it doesn't show the yellow exclamation in Device Manager. So do anyone know how to solve this?

Pat

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2011 10:00

Pat

If it was me, and I would generally keep it connected until shutting down the system.  I really don't feel that disconnecting the system like you are doing is wrong though, and I don't believe that doing so will damage the drive. So if you needed to disconnect the drive without shutting the system down, go ahead.  Otherwise just keep the drive connected.

Terry

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 14th, 2011 14:00

PizzaPatz

I suggest looking to the manufacturer of the devices and see if they have patches available for the devices and see if that helps.  This could be a Windows corruption issue as well. If you can safely remove them by using eject you may just want to do that.  Otherwise you may be looking at reinstalling Windows.

TB

35 Posts

June 15th, 2011 14:00

TB,

Do you meant by manufacturer of laptop or the external drive? I have tried to update the device(when it has yellow exclamation) and it said "The best driver software for your device is already installed". For reinstall window, I have tried it and it's not working. For ejecting, it doesn't have in Hard Disk Drives category, it has only in Devices with Removable Storage, so I can eject only my flash drive.

Thank you for your suggestion

P.S. If I had misunderstand about patch of devices please let me know.

Pat

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 15th, 2011 18:00

I was referring to the external devices and see if they had any patches or driver updates.  Specifically I suggest looking on Seagate's website to see if other GoFlex customers have been having the same problem and if Seagate may have a patch or update available.  

35 Posts

June 16th, 2011 20:00

Terry B,

Sorry I had classes to study causing delay to reply

I don't think it's GoFlex device because my flash drive also has this problem. And I did look at the Seagate website and I don't find any devices there, it has already in my GoFlex product but it's seem like the only Back-up Software.

Pat

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 17th, 2011 14:00

Hello Pat

I think that you are fine, as long as any USB devices work on the ports that you are using the hard drive.  I have used enough systems to know that if you remove a device from the system, Windows may keep a "ghost" of the device even after it has been removed.

If you are concerned that there is something wrong with the USB ports, test them with other devices and see if they are detected and work correctly.

If you are concerned that you may lose data on the drives, use the manufacturer's diagnostics to make sure that the drives are fine.  If Seagate's backup utility have a method on diagnosing data integrity then run it and see if it finds any problems.

Other than that,  as I mentioned before I can only suggest reinstalling Windows.

TB

35 Posts

June 18th, 2011 08:00

Terry B,

I think so that it's fine, it said:

"Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again."

I was worried about the light of external drive doesn't go away. But if you say it keeps the ghost of the device, I believe it working properly. So if you have anything, or any comment about the qoute above, please write your suggestion. If you think this message is nornal, you can just don't write anything or reply me if that's "normal".

Thank you,

Pat

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 20th, 2011 13:00

Pat

Windows doesn't seem to be refreshing the state of the Goflex driver.  I am curious, if you disconnect the drive from the system after receiving the message, and then plug the drive back into the system, does Windows detect it correctly and are you able to use the drive?  Or do you have to restart the notebook to get functionality from the external drive?

TB

35 Posts

June 21st, 2011 20:00

TB,

I am able to use the drive after unplug it, but I was worry about the external drive getting damaged if it is still running. From observation, I have picked it up and cling to my ear and I click safety removed, I can hear it is still running, I unplug it and it goes away due to no power in the external drive anymore.

Pat

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2011 09:00

I hear you on that, and under usual circumstances I would agree with you, and wouldn't want to disconnect the drive. From the way that you described the problem, would have meant that you would not be able to disconnect the drive before shutting Windows all the way down.  You really shouldn't have to do that.

It looks like the drive is fine after disconnecting it.  If there are ghost drivers for the drive in Windows they aren't interfering with the use of the drive after reconnecting it.

TB

35 Posts

June 22nd, 2011 10:00

TB,

So does it work properly? what should I do if it shouldn't be unplugged like that?

Pat

No Events found!