Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

J

March 29th, 2005 20:00

USB Memory Key

I have a Latitude C800.  When I insert a USB Memory Stick, the computer finds the memory as "USB Mass Storage".  But when it tries to install the drivers, it fails...what do I do???

Thanks.

March 30th, 2005 18:00

Well, for starters, add more details. Did the USB memory drive come with a CD with the drivers? At what point does it fail? I've had loads of USB object issues with Windows and the best thing is to remove all USB objects from the Device Manager and have them rebuild. No idea why it works, it just does.

March 30th, 2005 19:00

The memory key did not come with any cd with drivers.  When I plug the key into the USB port, the computer finds the hardware, correctly identifies what it is, and starts installing the drivers.  At that point it comes back and says that there was a problem with the installation and the hardware might not work properly....it doesn't.

I have tried uninstalling all of the USB drivers, and then reinstalling the drivers with the same results.

I appreciate the help.

March 31st, 2005 17:00

OK. Here are some more avenues of query:

1) What version of XP is it? Does it have all the updates (eg. Service Pack 2)?

2) Has the USB key worked on any other device? Try testing it on a Mac. If that doesn't work, then the USB is faulty. Mac OS X has far superior USB support than PCs.

3) Have you run a diagnostic test on the laptop using the Dell CD? As much as I abhor this method, it does work in many cases. Just boot the laptop from the CD and run the test.

4) What brand of USB key is it?
No Events found!