Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2016 13:00

USB to optical spdif adapter - composite, not toslink

Hi, I'd like to connect my laptop to my stereo, via the DAC component. I've learned that the 3.5mm headphone output on our M4500 and M4700 does not have spdif. Does anyone know of another solution, like a usb device that simple has spdif "composite" out. This wouldn't be a converter, just a way to pass a data signal from the laptop into a cable going to our stereo.

Note, this is optical spdif "composite" and not "toslink."

Thanks, Dave

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 11th, 2016 06:00

optical spdif "composite"

Hello. Do you mean the DAC has an RCA jack for a coaxial spdif cable? If so, I saw this usb-to-coaxial-spdif converter on Amazon.

It is a DAC but it looks like it might have a straight pass-through of the digital signal. The description says, "This device can be used to connect to your computer via USB cable and configures as an audio output device, with the purpose of creating a high quality S/PDIF digital audio output signal that can connect to your existing DAC."

If "optical spdif composite" means something else please explain. I thought spdif was either fiber optical or copper coaxial. I associate "composite" with a video coax cable, and as such it cannot be optical.

like a usb device that simple has spdif "composite" out.

I don't know of any simple usb-to-coaxial adapter.

No Events found!