Highlighted
Badmonky
1 Copper

USB3.0 Boot M4600

I have an M4600 Workstation and i need to boot that one from a USB3.0 Hard-drive. The bios does not recognize the USB3.0 HDD. If i connect it to a USB2.0 port, I can boot. But since i have to use the workstation for certain occasions in the USB boot mode (Security reasons) I need a High speed USB connection.

Does anyone have an idea why i cannot boot on a USB3.0 port? Or any recommendations how to resolve that issue?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Xenon

Re: USB3.0 Boot M4600

The problem is that Intel hasn't (yet) released any chipsets with USB 3.0 support.  The system you have uses an add-on NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 controller - so you can't boot from a USB 3.0 device when it's connected to a USB 3.0 port (you can boot USB 3.0 on a USB 2.0 port, though).

That situation (no Intel USB 3.0 support) will change on April 29, 2012 with the coming Ivy Bridge chipset platform.  Unfortunately, there is no way to boot USB 3.0 drives on your current system - nor will there ever be.

0 Kudos
Badmonky
1 Copper

Damn... I did not want to hear that.

Is there any other solution? Like boot from esata or something? (Requirements are to boot from a different drive than the external to be totally decoupled, and a higher throughput than USB2.0)

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

It doesn't appear that you can boot from an eSATA drive - no.

0 Kudos