Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2012 10:00

Unable To Install Device Driver for USB 3.0 Host Controller

I just purchased an Inspiron N7110 laptop and I did a clean install of Windows 7 Utlimate 64 bit and everything is functioning properly with the exception of the USB 3.0 ports.  In the clean install, I followed directions in terms of the order to install drivers and I got the drivers from dell.com.  When I installed the driver for the Renesas USB 3.0 Host Controller, the install appeared to work but I got a balloon type windows message immediately following the install indicating that the device driver software for the USB Controller was not properly installed because no driver was found.  In device manager, there is an entry under Other Devices for Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller with a yellow exclamation point next to it.  Also, under Start/Programs, there is an entry for USB3 USB Host Controller Utility but when I try to open this I receive a message box with the following message "USB 3.0 Host Controller Not Found".  After I reboot, nothing changes in the device manager or when I try to open the USB Host Controller Utility program.  So the bottom line is that the USB 3.0 ports do not function with either USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 devices.  Any help on this is appreciated.

2 Posts

February 21st, 2012 06:00

I too am having a problem after upgrading to Windows 7 Professional, also a legit upgrade.

I have tried all drivers available from Dell, as well as Renesans drivers from IBM's website none of which are working.  I contacted Dell as the laptop is in warranty but was advised that since I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional the software warranty is voided.....  Which is absurd, and is really poor customer service on Dell's behalf..

Anyways, I know the ports were working before upgrading to Windows 7 Professional which is really odd.  Both the OS that came pre-installed and the upgrade are x64, meaning the driver should work the same regardless.  

I'm at my wits end, especially seeing as I do have a USB 3.0 external and would love to utilize the ports!   Any suggestions would be great.

Also to add, I have updated the BIOS and all other drivers (including Chipset) to ensure those were causing the problems.

7 Posts

February 21st, 2012 08:00

Hi,
We are having EXACT same problem. I' have written one post but with no proper answer.

We bought two laptops (02-16-2012) and in none of them usb 3.0 ports work. I thought I made a mistake during installation of Windows 7 (64bit - clean install, laptops came with DOS), but guess not. I would just like to know is this a hardware issue or there is something wrong with the drivers.

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 20:00

I was able to solve my problem but not in a way that would help you.  I recovered to the original factory settings using the recovery disk I had previously made and then did an upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate using anytime upgrade.  I had thought that I would not be able to use my product key from MSDN in this upgrade but I was able to do this so I upgraded.  When I restored to the original factory settings, I checked device manager to see what drivers had been installed for the USB 3.0 ports and discovered that the factory settings use 2 drivers from Fresco Logic for this.  Based upon this, I feel that Dell has the wrong driver listed on their website for the 3.0 USB port for my laptop (N7110).  I contacted a rep from Dell and mentioned this to him and he said that he would look into this.  Good luck on solving your problem.  Perhaps Dell will put the correct driver on their website so that you can get your USB 3.0 port to work.

7 Posts

February 24th, 2012 03:00

Hello . I have the same problem with my inspiron n7110 2x usb 3.0  controller drivers . tried to instal a lot of diffrend variations, but nothing works ... Dell Please help

7 Posts

February 25th, 2012 10:00

I fixem mine wit INSTALLING FLASCO LOGIC USB CONTROLLER    ...

Here is a link from where i got them.

www.technopat.net/.../3368-fresco-logic-usb-3-0-host-controller-driver-v3-5-24-0-a.html

1 Message

October 16th, 2013 18:00

That finally fixed mine - thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you

1 Message

January 20th, 2016 10:00

Solved this for my Precision M3800 by updating the Thunderbolt drivers via the Dell site. Was able to install all other drivers right after (Belking Docking Station for Win/Mac) 

No Events found!