Downunder 11Z
1 Copper

Unable to Enable DW1520 wireless card.

Jump to solution

Here is the issue:

I'm unable to enable my DW1520 Wireless card.  I was sold a DW1702 Wireless N card as an upgrade (802.11n), I installed that and couldn't get it working, I'm now thinking it is not compatible with the Inspiron 1110 (11Z).  I gave up on this and  I reinstalled the DW1520.  Now I'm unable to get the DW1520 to enable.  When I go to network connections (Windows 7- 64) the device is greyed out, and says disabled.  When I right click and select enable, nothing changes, still greyed out.  I have tried enabling and disabling from the WSED (wireless switch enable disable) but no luck.  I've tried un-installing and reinstalling the card in device manager and no luck.

I have installed the latest driver pack which included the Dell Wireless WLAN Connection Utility .  I read that it could be that I needed to un-install the DW1520 and reinstall the Intel chip driver, then reinstall the DW1520, however that did not help.  Same issue.

I have also tried to reinstall the WSED.exe program in case it is an issue and isn't allowing me to enable the device, however when I try to reinstall the wireless enable disable software I get an error saying "This program could not be removed!" pop up window from the installer.

This is driving me nuts and has consumed hours already.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Also if you can recommend a WLAN card which is compatable with the Inspiron 1110 (11Z) which will do 802.11n I would appreciate it.  The DW1520 is only 802.11g.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Downunder 11Z
1 Copper

Re: Unable to Enable DW1520 wireless card.

Jump to solution

Ok, after many hours of troubleshooting I ran the setup file for the WSED.exe wireless enable disable program and logged the results.  I found a reference to a long set of characters within {} these brackets in the log file.  I searched for this set of characters in the registry and deleted all references.  I also searched the same characters in files and  folders on my laptop and deleted all of the folders, in two locations.  I then restarted and ran the WSED.exe.  It ran fine.

It appears I missed a couple of references to WSED with out knowing it.  I was then able to enable with the wireless enable disable key combination.

I then found the wireless card disabled, however the Wireless enable disable toggle was working.  Back to my original problem.  When I would  right click on adapter in the Network Adapters area and enable the card, it would not enable.  I uninstalled ZONEALARM Internet security suite and that cured the problem.  I have reinstalled ZONEALARM and so far so good.  Hopefully it stays this way.

The key was logging the progress of the setup.exe for WSED.exe install.  This found me the registry info to search for.  Amazing what you think of at 2 am.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Downunder 11Z
1 Copper

Jump to solution

A little progress:

In surfing the web, I found issues with enabling the wireless card when antivirus/security software is installed.  I have un-installed Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite and I am now able to enable the DW1520 from the Network Connections screen, right click and enable, the device enables.

The problem now is, in my haste to resolve this I tried to reinstall the wireless enable/disable soft key software (F2).  When I couldn't reinstall, as I was getting the error "This program could not be removed!" from the wireless enable/disable installer, I tried to manually remove it, deleted WSED.exe and removed all references from the registry.  I am still unable to install it, I get the same error, and I am not able to finally enable wireless.

Any ideas?

Highlighted
Downunder 11Z
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Ok, after many hours of troubleshooting I ran the setup file for the WSED.exe wireless enable disable program and logged the results.  I found a reference to a long set of characters within {} these brackets in the log file.  I searched for this set of characters in the registry and deleted all references.  I also searched the same characters in files and  folders on my laptop and deleted all of the folders, in two locations.  I then restarted and ran the WSED.exe.  It ran fine.

It appears I missed a couple of references to WSED with out knowing it.  I was then able to enable with the wireless enable disable key combination.

I then found the wireless card disabled, however the Wireless enable disable toggle was working.  Back to my original problem.  When I would  right click on adapter in the Network Adapters area and enable the card, it would not enable.  I uninstalled ZONEALARM Internet security suite and that cured the problem.  I have reinstalled ZONEALARM and so far so good.  Hopefully it stays this way.

The key was logging the progress of the setup.exe for WSED.exe install.  This found me the registry info to search for.  Amazing what you think of at 2 am.

View solution in original post