Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2016 11:00

Unable to image Latitude E7470

Hi,

Recently one of our executives went and bought a E7470 without consent so it's not supported, but due to their ranking I'm magically working on it. So hear is the problem. We provided a imaging team with a usb with the Windows 7 ISO extracted and advised them to install Windows and load our agency specific software afterwards as we are not allowed to use our normal process since the machine isn't approved in our environment. The team returned the E7470 stating it gets stuck at "Windows" when trying to load the OS after they imaged it.

I've been troubleshooting the cause and ran into even more issues. When booting to a separate usb to install Windows 7, it cannot find the local drive or usb connected. Diskpart cannot find any disk as well. I've installed every possible driver from support.dell.com and injected them into both the boot.wim & install.wim, ran SFC /SCANNOW, did a Data wipe on the SSD's. So far the only thing we can do is boot into Safe mode. Any idea's on how we can fix this?

7 Posts

February 12th, 2016 08:00

Going through the same issue two days ago.  Worked with Dell Tech Support and they were stumped as well.

USB devices are not being picked up by Windows.  The only way to get an image going is to install the OS over the existing Dell image. 

Once your OS is installed, it will have the same issue where it will not recognize any USB devices but you can navigate to the drivers folder in the C drive and install the NIC drivers then you can upload drivers this way.

I was able to create an image this way but with all the work I put through this, we decided that it is not a good laptop for us and will return them and go back to the E7450 model.

1 Message

February 12th, 2016 15:00

You must add the related drivers to your image - otherwise it will not detect the HDD nor the USB 3.0 chipset.

8 Posts

February 18th, 2016 05:00

Sorry the late reply. I've injected every possible driver for this model from the Dell support site, but the issue still occurs. We have a second one of the machines arriving today and we are going to compare them.

8 Posts

February 18th, 2016 05:00

I will try this. Unfortunately it's not up to me to have them avoid the machine, which is the exact reason why we have to work on it lol. Their job titles are too high for us to say no.

7 Posts

February 18th, 2016 08:00

I went through the same pain as you are going through now and almost got to the point of returning the 10 units we ordered. 

Here is what I ended up doing,

I created a bootableUSB flash drive first with the Windows 7 iso.

www.microsoft.com/.../windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Then, I injected the drivers using this.

Hope that helps,

JOE

8 Posts

February 26th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

I spent my day today testing this option. It helped by allowing us to see the Thumb Drive when searching for drivers in the Windows Installation menu. However it still cannot see the internal SSD. I literally tried every Storage drive from Windows 7-10 x86 & x64 each would not load and make the SSD appear for me to install Windows 7. So right now the biggest issue is not being able to locate the SSD, maybe I am installing the wrong drivers but I got it  directly from the support.dell.com & I also downloaded the Windows 7 driver pack cab. Nothing....

7 Posts

February 26th, 2016 13:00

So you created a bootable USB as per the first link?  Then, followed the instructions in the second link?

Don't know what to tell you after this.  Worked fine for me and was able to find the SSD.  I can't imagine any other difference beside the CPU or something.

8 Posts

March 7th, 2016 06:00

Joe,

Can you link me to the drivers you injected? Were they only the usb 3.0 drivers?

7 Posts

March 7th, 2016 08:00

It is on the 2nd link in my reply.  It is only for the USB.  Just follow the instructions to inject it to your install source.

What kind of SSD do you have?  I have the M.2 SATA SSD and the drivers worked for me.

7 Posts

March 7th, 2016 11:00

I am guessing that the E drive contains your install files?

That's the thing, I did not load anything else. 

I downloaded the Win7 .iso and saved in my computer.

I followed the instructions using the USB/DVD Download Tool.

I downloaded the USB Media Creator Utility and followed the instructions there.

My OS is the 64bit version and I have not done this on a 32 yet.

8 Posts

March 7th, 2016 11:00

I followed the original instructions and it was finally able to see my E: but still not the C:. These E7470's have the same SSD. 

I meant which Network & Storage drivers did you use?

8 Posts

March 8th, 2016 11:00

I contacted Dell and was that due to the design of the Motherboard for  E7470 it is unable to install our Enterprise Windows 7 installation media. He stated only third party OEM would work. The machine came with Windows 7 Professional so that's what he based this off of. I don't know if this is true or not, but I am going to try our Windows 10 to see if it will work. Especially since a Windows 10 disc did arrive with the box.

7 Posts

March 8th, 2016 11:00

I did that, same thing.

Where did you get your .iso file from?

7 Posts

March 10th, 2016 08:00

Same with my Windows 7.  I was using the Dell OEM CD for Windows 10.  Glad you got it to work.

8 Posts

March 10th, 2016 08:00

Our Windows 7 Enterprise ISO comes straight from Microsoft. A Windows 10 iso locates the drives fine and I was able to image the machine using our Windows 10 MDT Task Sequence.

No Events found!