Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2016 07:00

Unable to install Windows 10

Hello, please help.

I have recently bought a new dell vostro 15 3000 series, service tag: 2BB0Q72. Naturally it comes with linux ubuntu istalled.

As I am a student I have access to free microsoft products so I downloaded windows 10 and created a bootable usb drive with the poweriso

In the boot sequence i have changed to legacy and put usb option to top and the installation started. After I have chosen the language the next step should be to choose the disk on which i want to install windows but that does not happen.

I get an error message saying I am missing a media driver that could be a dvd, usb or hard disk driver and that if I have a cd,dvd or usb with that driver i should insert it.

I have searched for drivers for this laptop and downloaded and extracted them on the same usb where the windows are and when i got the same error i tried to browse to them but none of them were shown.

I have tried a few other solutions: redownloading the windows file, trying to change the usb port, trying to change the usb it self, formating to FAT32. None worked

Please I have already lost my nerves by wasting more than a few days on this

Thank you

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 19th, 2016 12:00

If the drive is in RAID mode, you'll need the Intel Rapid Storage driver.  Or, you can set the drive to AHCI mode and Windows 10 will install just fine that way without an added driver.

If you need the IRST driver, it's here:

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../IRST-Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

2 Posts

August 20th, 2016 02:00

Thanks for your reply but the drive was in AHCI mode already, I tried downloading those drivers anyway but they are .exe files so I cant extract them on the usb (or I dont know how), in the mean time i managed to create another problem and that is that I cant go back to ubuntu either, when i get to bios setup UEFI no boot options are available and if I try to add a new one it will say that the file system is not found.

Sorry for the trouble

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 20th, 2016 04:00

You need the f6-flpy file for your system (x86 for 32 bit or 64 bit for 64 bit).  Unzip the file, put the driver on a flash drive and press F6 during the OS load to insert it into the boot stream.

No Events found!