Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

October 17th, 2012 00:00

Unexpected "blue screen" type problem in XPS 15 L502X

I have had my xps laptop for about 7 months and am running Win 7 pro.  The internet connection is via a wireless router.  What is happening is similar to what happens with the Windows "blue screen."  The machine stays on, but all the programmes have stopped and the screen is a blank single colour like green or pink (it seems to be a different colour each time).  The fan is racing which I suppose could indicate some sort of endless loop, but it is impossible to tell.  It has happened in Word, Outlook and using a brower (I have Chrome as default).  There doesn't seem to be a pattern.

I have to manually turn the machine off to get out of whatever is happening and the machine then fires up  like nothing has happened.  A look in event viewer does not show anything odd going on, it is simply recording that the machine closed down upexpectedly which seems to be my manual shutdown action.  All the drivers and software are fully up to date, as is the BIOS A11.  

Grateful for any help as to what might be going on.  It is happening about once a fortnight.

Thanks

Fred

2.6K Posts

October 17th, 2012 00:00

Hello,

The issue that you have described, I would suggest you to run a hardware diagnostics before we try any steps as it would isolate if it is hardware or a software issue.
-- To Run the Hardware Diagnostics follow the steps mentioned below.
   1. Shut down the computer.
   2. Disconnect all the peripherals from the computer (for example, external hard drive, flash drive or printer only the power adapter and battery should be connected to the computer.)
   3. Restart the computer and keep tapping F12.
   4. It takes you to the One Time Boot Menu.
   5. Select Diagnostics and press Enter.
It would run the hardware diagnostics and generate an error if there are any issues with hardware components. Please let me know the results of the test, I would be glad to assist you with the next course of action.
Awaiting your response! 

55 Posts

October 17th, 2012 02:00

Allan

I have run the diagnostics as you advised, doing the extended memory testing.  No problems to report.

What next?

Fred

2.6K Posts

October 17th, 2012 09:00

Hi,

I would suggest you to check in Safe Mode with Networking.
-- Restart the computer.
-- Keep tapping F8 on the Dell Logo Screen.
-- Once the computer enters Advanced Boot Option, select Safe Mode with networking.
-- Press Enter.
-- Check if the computer is doing the same thing in safe mode with networking.

Update the BIOS to the latest version. Ensure that all the peripherals are disconnected from the computer. Only the battery and AC adapter should be connected.
Follow the link mentioned below to update the BIOS to the latest version.
http://dell.to/QjjZDA
-- Enter the Service tag and choose the Operating system and download the latest BIOS version and install it.

I would request you to capture the blue screen stop error code and let me know so that i can assist you further.

55 Posts

October 17th, 2012 12:00

I already have the latest BIOS for this laptop, A11.  This isn't a blue screen error exactly.  I meant that it acts in the same way.  There is no writing on the screen, and no way to capture the error code.  It isn't there.

Fred

2.6K Posts

October 18th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

Thank you for replying. I would suggest you to check in safe mode if it does the same thing and run a PC check on the video card.
 -- Run PC checkup, Custom Scan on the Video Card.
Click Start, All Programs, Dell, Dell Support Center and Launch PC Checkup.
-- In case you don’t have Dell Support Center, Please follow the link to download and install Dell Support Center.
http://www.dell.com/dellsupportcenter
-- Click Download.
Run the test and capture the error code and let me know I assist you with the next course of action.
Awaiting your response!

55 Posts

October 18th, 2012 16:00

The programme tells me PC check up does not work when PC is in safe mode with networking.  I ran the specific video card tests (after returning to normal mode).  The Nvidia GT 540m passed all tests.

Fred

2.6K Posts

October 19th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

I this case, I would suggest a clean re-installation of the video card.

-- Uninstall all the applications for nVidia from the Program and Features.
        1. Click on start.
        2. Click on Control Panel.
        3. Program and Features.
        4. Uninstall every program related to nVidia.

-- Delete the folder named Video from the Dell Drivers Folder.
       1.  Click on Start.
       2.  Click on Computers.
       3.  Open the C Drive.
       4.  Open the Folder named Dell.
       5.  Open the Folder named Drivers.
       6.  Delete the Folder named Video.

Uninstall the Video Drivers from the Device manager.
Please do check in the startup items as well, if there is anything related to nVidia. Disable it.
Start -> Run -> MSCONFIG -> StartUp.
Restart the computer.

-- Reinstall the drivers from the link mentioned below.
Click on the link mentioned below to download and install the video drives.
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/xps-l502x?driverId=RRN66&osCode=W764&fileId=2899067782

Please try the steps and write back to us, I would be glad to assist.

55 Posts

October 20th, 2012 16:00

Hi,

I have followed your instructions and deleted, then reloaded the software, taken from your provided link.  I will answer via this thread if the problem happens again.  It might take a few weeks.  Thanks for your help.

Fred

2.6K Posts

October 22nd, 2012 04:00

Hi,

Please do let us know if the issue persist or resolved.
I would be glad to assist you further.
Awaiting your response! 

55 Posts

October 31st, 2012 16:00

Hi Allan

I have just had this problem happen again.  Only this time, instead of the screen blanking to one colour, it was more like there were a large number of pixels showing just one colour and I could see the programme running underneath (Outlook 2010).  But the laptop was frozen and I had to manually shut it down.  Everything was ok when I started it up again.   Once again, nothing unusual shows up in the error log.

What next?

Fred

55 Posts

October 31st, 2012 20:00

By the way, Windows update has suggested a newer version of the software for the GT 540M.  I have not downloaded it since I assume Dell customises the software a bit.

Fred

2.6K Posts

November 1st, 2012 06:00

Hi,
Thank you for replying.
I was doing a research on this issue and got to know that the nVidia had released the latest driver for the Video Card due to which you were getting the windows update notification. I would suggest you do a clean re-installation of the video card.

-- Uninstall all the applications for nVidia from the Program and Features.
1. Click on start.
2. Click on Control Panel.
3. Program and Features.
4. Uninstall every program related to nVidia.

-- Delete the folder named Video from the Dell Drivers Folder.
1.  Click on Start.
2.  Click on Computers.
3.  Open the C Drive.
4.  Open the Folder named Dell.
5.  Open the Folder named Drivers.
6.  Delete the Folder named Video.

-- Uninstall the Video Drivers from the Device manager.
Please do check in the startup items as well, if there is anything related to nVidia. Disable it.
Start -> Run -> MSCONFIG -> StartUp.
Restart the computer.

-- Reinstall the drivers from the link mentioned below.
Click on the link mentioned below to download and install the video drives.
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/50007

Please try the steps and write back to us, I would be glad to assist.

55 Posts

November 1st, 2012 15:00

I was testing the new drivers using Dell PC Checkup and it crashed (frozen PC, yellow screen) during the test.  What now?

Fred

55 Posts

November 1st, 2012 15:00

Hi Allan

I have completed the changeover to the different nVidia drivers.  We'll see how that goes.  Though, I must say, it seems like a hardware issue to me.

Regards

Fred

2.6K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 04:00

Hi Fred,

Really appreciate your effort to perform the steps, but before we come to a conclusion about the hardware failure, I would suggest you to re-install the Operating System by through PC Restore (Factory Image).
Refer to the following link for the steps to perform PC Restore. http://dell.to/KTY2az

** Note: Please back up all the data before performing the PC Restore because it would delete all the data from the computer.
Please write back to us if you have any further question. 

No Events found!