Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 26th, 2016 12:00

Up and Left Keys not working together

Hey everyone, I have recently encountered a problem on my New Dell Inspiron 5559. I've noticed when I press the Left and Up Arrow Keys together, they do not work. I have tried this combination of keys in many different circumstances, on several applications, but they will not work as they are supposed to. These buttons will work individually, and any other two of the arrow keys work when pressed together.

I have also tried using an alternative keyboard to see if the problem remained, however a different keyboard didn’t have this issue in any of the same tests, therefore the problem lies within the Inspiron Keyboard.

I’ve tried dusting the Keyboard, updating, uninstalling and reinstalling the Keyboard Driver but to no avail. I have taken extremely good care of my Laptop since receiving it and have done nothing to cause this issue.

Can somebody please be so kind as to help me with this problem? As this combination of keys is crucial to lots of Games and other Software which I use on a daily basis. Please could you tell me how this can be fixed? Because at the moment, the keyboard is not functioning as it is intended, and is causing major problems.

August 14th, 2016 16:00

Guys I have a Dell Inspiron 5559. I faced the same problem with the up and left arrow key. I installed the latest bios update and the problem was fixed. Give it a try ;)

April 15th, 2016 15:00

Problem still here, anybody else have this issue or know a solution?

2 Posts

June 10th, 2016 15:00

I am on my second 5559 because of this issue. Both of them are doing this, which is one of the reasons I returned the first one.

Haven't contacted Dell yet as I expect I'll get the generic "deal with it" response since it appears to be this way by design.

The fact that you were able to get the key combination to work using an external keyboard points to a hardware issue with the keyboard.

If I learn anything I will pass it on.

June 10th, 2016 16:00

Hey mate, sorry to hear you have this problem too. But we now know the problem is with the system. This is also my second Laptop, the first had a Stuck Space bar so was unusable.

I have spoke to DELL many times about this issue, after several back and forth emails with the hardware team they told me the problem was software related and I'd need to ring the Software Team, the initial number I was given, sent me to another hardware team, eventually I got through to the DELL Solution Station who told me they were aware of this issue and due to the keyboard model being new they needed more time to look into it, I was promised a call within two days. After 10 days of waiting, I rang again. This time told they were looking into it and they would this time get back to me,  within a month max. It's been several weeks since the month mark has passed yet no reply.

Due to having no clue whether to when, and more importantly if, anyone was ever going to reply to me I decided to email them requesting a refund on my product and how there product doesn't fit with the Consumer Rights Act. I put a lot of effort into the letter (several pages) and even had to send it twice as there was no reply to the first one after over a week (again, the website said I'd receive one in 2 days). Finally a reply claim and despite my long email with numerous points they had to respond to, I got a two sentence message saying that the product was working as intended due to it not being designed for gaming. Quite frankly I found this claim ridiculous as the vast majority of Laptops aren't designed for Gaming but never have this problem, Gaming Laptops are for Enhancing Gaming not being exclusively able to play games. Since then I have given the Laptop to a relative and am pursuing getting a Custom Built Desktop instead of this as DELL just aren't willing to help yet keep assuring me of a quick fix.

I suggest you report the problem as the more who do, the more pressure DELL have to fix it, they may release a driver to fix it  presuming it is driver related (see link at bottom). If it's the Keyboard Model itself, I imagine DELL will ignore it is too inconvenient to fix there own faulty product. , in this case you will probably have to ask for a refund under the Consumer Rights Act. Try avoiding DELL in the future and good luck in fixing it buddy. Hope that helps and I'll keep you posted if I hear anything. Ask anything you need, happy to help.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/product-support/product/inspiron-15-5559-laptop/drivers

August 15th, 2016 07:00

Thanks mate, just installed it. Cheers for the heads up, glad this problem is finally fixed. I had been keeping an eye on the new drivers but gave up after several months. Glad we have this fixed now. :)

Thanks again.

No Events found!