LarsDennert
1 Copper

Re: Updating BIOS causes dead of my laptop D830

I think I've read enough on BIOS DELL bricks. It's obvious that they don't have sense enough to make space on the BIOS chip for two versions, the old and the new and not erase and switch to the new until it is verified. That's the right way to do it.

At this point I'm going to strip parts from my DELL brick and toss it...
0 Kudos
axlns
1 Copper

so, after more than 2 weeks of beeing in service my laptop is returned back Smiley Happy
they changed MB and BIOS on it was even older (A02). So I decided to flash it again, successfully that time, thanks God Smiley Happy

I did it from DOS, as Art suggested. Thanks to all of you guys, for your responses..

btw, laptop is great! Smiley Happy
Message Edited by axlns on 03-07-2008 11:45 AM
0 Kudos
Art
3 Cadmium

Very glad to hear of your success, it is strange that Dell Service would install a new motherboard due to a failed BIOS Flash and not go the extra step of Flashing it to the latest version for the user. ???

Just saw this article by ASE Labs on creation of a USB Boot device for Flash.

DOS USB Bootable Drive Intro:

Although I see that the default boot sequence defined by Dell on the D830 is 'floppy' first, the USB Device (which could easily contain all the files needed) would be even safer to use than the A:\Drive for BIOS Flash.

Expert opinions welcome on that idea. Smiley Happy

NoteBook Forum had {A tutorial on 'BLIND' Flash}   for recovery of your Video Card Flash gone bad.

Art
Message Edited by Art on 03-07-2008 02:37 AM
0 Kudos
glnz
2 Iron

I successfully upgraded the BIOS on my D830 to A09, and I'd like to continue to A12.  However, I'm also afraid of a failed BIOS upgrade.  My D830 doesn't have a floppy drive for DOS upgrade but does have a CD-RW.  Can I use it for a DOS BIOS upgrade?  How?  Need step-by-step instructions, and please don't assume I know anything at all - I don't know what makes a CD "bootable".  I have WinXPPro SP3.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Art
3 Cadmium

I have still only used my USB (Sony) 'floppy' drive for BIOS Flashes.

I know it could be done from a CD 'boot disk', never made one, but think you may need Nero's CD Program to create a Boot CD.

I did post a link above about creating a USB Boot Device and I would prefer that over a Boot CD.

I bought a USB Device for a couple bucks at Office MAX and it is a handy way to transfer files between systems without the bother of burning CD's.

0 Kudos