Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 22nd, 2016 22:00

Upgrade Inspiron 1520

What is the fastest CPU I can install in my Inspiron 1520. Will I need to upgrade the bios to accommodate it? It is currently running Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  T2370  @ 1.73GHz.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 09:00

The CPU and memory upgrades are supported.  Assuming you plan to change the mainboard as well (to one with an nVidia GPU aboard) you'll need that heatsink.

If you're not planning to change the mainboard, you can skip the heatsink  upgrade - that heatsink won't fit the version of the mainboard that has an onboard Intel GPU.

If you do upgrade the mainboard to nVidia, be sure you check your power adapter - it's probably 65W, and you'll need 90W or better to run the nVidia version of the mainboard.

50 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 09:00

I am running Mint 18 Cinnamon. The 1520 presently has:

Pentium dual core T2370 1.73GHz

2GB RAM 667MHz

onboard video.

Plan to upgrade:

Intel 800 MHz bus Core 2 Duo - T9500

4GB RAM 800 MHz

Dell-Inspiron-1520-Laptop-0YY634-128-MB-NVIDIA-Video-Card-amp-Heatsink-R1L11

Any comments?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 12:00

There is no video card, nor any socket for one.  There are different boards depending on whether you have Integrated-only (which is what it sounds like) or nVidia graphics (in which case the GPU is a separate chip soldered to the mainboard).

There is no way to upgrade the integrated version to the nVidia version without replacing the mainboard (in which case you will need that heatsink assembly -- the Intel heatsink won't fit the nVIdia board and vice-versa).

There may be solder points for the nVidia GPU on the integrated board, but there is no separate video card or socket for one.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 03:00

Needs an 800 MHz bus Core 2 Duo - T9500 is the fastest one.  Only 800 MHz bus CPUs max - not the 1066 from the later generation.

No:  Core i3, i5, i7, or any of the associated Pentium dual core or Celeron CPUs.

50 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 11:00

The present mobo has a socket for the -NVIDIA-Video-Card, but won't acomodate the heatsink for it?

I am pretty sure I saw the socket  for the video card last time I had it apart.  How to positively ID the mobo w/out disassembly?

Perhaps just upgrading the CPU and RAM will keep me up with web content for the near future?

50 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 12:00

Looks like you are right.

$ sudo dmidecode -t 2

[sudo] password for abc:

# dmidecode 3.0

Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.

SMBIOS 2.4 present.

Handle 0x0200, DMI type 2, 9 bytes

Base Board Information

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

Product Name: 0KY767

Version:    

Serial Number: .GNQ51G1.CN486438470912.

Asset Tag:          

I looked up pictures of my 0KY767 mobo and of the other board. There is definitely no socket for the Invidia card on mine.

Thanks for the heads up about the video upgrade.

Won't replace the mobo unless I find one at bargain basement prices. Hopefully a CPU and RAM upgrade will keep me in the game for a while.

50 Posts

January 21st, 2017 16:00

I upgraded to 4 GB RAM. That helped a lot. Anytime I run YouTube on Firefox  the T2370 CPU maxes out to 100%. I procured a 90 Watt power Adapter for free, so will upgrade to Intel 800 MHz bus Core 2 Duo - T9500.

Upgrade to the Nvidia does not seem feasible unless I find one really cheap. They are in the $100 range. I was told that I would have to remove the graphic chip from my present mobo and install it on the mobo that has the Nvidia as a "daughter". Is that correct? How is that done? Does that involve soldering?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 22nd, 2017 03:00

It is not possible to move the GPU - you either buy a board with the Intel GPU or nVidia GPU aboard. One version cannot be upgraded to the other.

50 Posts

January 22nd, 2017 14:00

I understand that you either have a board w/ Intel or nvidial. That was not my question.

You are telling me That if I get the mobo w/Nvidia, there is nothing else to do, except add the heat sink?

About the heat sink, What are all the electronics on it? See:

www.ebay.com/.../291993119516

I located the mobo w/Nvidia:

www.ebay.com/.../291993119516

"Dell OEM Motherboard (systemboard / mainboard) for the Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with Discrete Graphics. The Discrete Graphics motherboards require a daughter video graphics card"

"This Inspiron 1520 Motherboard does not include the video card - Video card must be transferred from your original motherboard"

50 Posts

January 22nd, 2017 18:00

I already understand you either use a board with Intel or Nvidia GPU.

I was told from one seller:

" Dell P/N: WP044, 0WP044

The Discrete Graphics motherboards require a daughter video graphics card.

This Inspiron 1520 Motherboard does not include the video card - Video card must be transferred from your original motherboard."

Since I have the mobo w/Intel video, I need to get the NVIDIA Video Card & Heatsink (R1L11 from elsewhere to install on the WP044, 0WP044  mobo.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 22nd, 2017 19:00

Given the well-known nVidia design flaws in the chips used in these, finding a working one may not be easy - most have expired from the fault by now.

50 Posts

January 22nd, 2017 22:00

That explains why I see them as refurbished. What is the flaw? is it in the mobo it'self, or the GPU/heat sink.?

Would have been helpful to mention the flaw much earlier.

On to CPU upgrade.

I am presently good with 4 GB of RAM, But Firefox easily maxes out the T2370 CPU at 100% when I run YouTube.

Will the T9500 CPU work with the  0KY767 mobo. I  understand that some of the mobo's in the 1520 will not work with it - it will fit in the socket, but will not work.

How much better performance can I expect with the T9500

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 23rd, 2017 03:00

The flaw is in the engineering of the materials from which the GPU chip itself is made:

www.theinquirer.net/.../why-nvidia-chips-defective

On a system of this age, it's difficult to tell what will work and what won't without trying.  Yes, that CPU should work - but on a board that's as old as these, given the aging of components, the only sure answer is to try it and see.  You'll see some speed increase - just don't expect miracles based on the rest of the platform being the same.

Nothing you do with a system that's on the order of a decade old will bring it anywhere near current performance standards, but if you're looking for the single best upgrade you can get for your money, replace the hard drive with a solid state drive and leave the rest as is.

50 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 08:00

Begging your pardon, but installing a SSD will only improve performance a tiny bit, as the old system can not benefit from the speed of the SSD, plus it costs about 3 times as much as a HDD for the same amount of storage. I recently bought a Western Digital Black 7200 rpm.

HDD's are better for long term storage and SSD's are better for speed providing that your system is fast enough to take advantage of them. The 1520 is not fast enough to take advantage of SSD. A 750 GB lists at  about $600. The Same size WD Black cost well under $100. A 120 GB SSD costs about $260.

The  T9500 can be had for from $20 to $60.

Do you mean the  T9500 will definitely work w/my 0KY767 board, or probably?

The bus speed of the 0KY767 is fast enough to take advantage of 800 MHz RAM and the T9500 CPU?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 23rd, 2017 08:00

An SSD will run the full SATA 150 bandwidth.  Your hard drive - whatever the specs say - will burst at half that or less, and routinely deliver well under half what the SSD will.   The design life of a hard drive is 5 years - SSDs now routinely exceed that.  Yes, they cost more, but they're the single best upgrade you can make to your system.

You will NOT see any CPU at 800 MHz on the memory bus.  The Core 2 CPUs at 800 MHz run the memory at either 533 or 667 MHz - not 800 MHz.  800 MHz memory requires the Montevina (1066 MHz bus CPU) platform.

No one can say whether your CPU upgrade will work.  Bear in mind you're putting additional stress on a system with decade-old components (in particular, capacitors).  The design life of an electrolytic cap is in the thousands of hours.

You would probably be better off replacing this system with a 5 year old one -- at half the age the components will have a much longer life ahead of them.

No Events found!