Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2009 09:00

Upgrade graphics adapter on Inspiron E1705?

Not tech savy here - trying to install windows 7 over windows XP on an Inspiron E1705. The Windows 7 Advisor is telling me that my current graphics adapter cannot support the aero interface. Is there an ungrade available??

Also it's saying that I'll have problems running  Broadcom Management Programs with Windows 7 - what is this and is it necessary?

Thanks for any help!

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

You know you cannot install Win 7 "over" XP, I hope. You must do a clean install/custom installation & wipe your hard drive using the upgrade disk and reinstall all your programs and files. For the most part, you will not be able to upgrade the video on a laptop. You can live without the Aero transparent effects. Broadcom is the software for your network ethernet NIC adapter. You can skip that software. If you use wireless connection to the network, pay attention to any problems with your wireless network adapter. If you have to spend $120 for the upgrade to Win 7, I would say save the money for a new computer. If you can get one of the those student upgrades for $30 and you don't mind reinstalling from scratch, do it.

okay...thanks for your help. Is it still possible to install windows 7 without that upgraded graphics adapter?

I knew I had to reinstall all my programs...but that wireless thing is quite depressing. Even more depressing because I paid $200 for windows 7 and have already opened the box......

Thanks for your help.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The only adapter the E1705 had that wouldn't support Aero is the Intel integrated - and no, that one cannot be upgraded.

No Events found!