Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 30th, 2017 02:00

Upgrade my laptop ,help ?

Guys , I would like to ask for your help.

Since I don't have enough money, and also I really like my Laptop (dell system xps l502x ),I would like to ask you for help .Could you  please advice a hardware part which could be upgrade .I've heard ,that if I put the disk to SSD it will run faster and will have better speed  .Is that true ? 

Will appreciate your advice .Thank you ;

My sys is:

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Dell System XPS L502X
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU System SKUNumber
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A12, 9/7/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.90 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.29 GB
Total Virtual Memory 9.77 GB

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 30th, 2017 05:00

Yes -- replacing the hard drive with a solid state drive will appreciably speed up the system.  It's the single best upgrade you can make.  Any CPU upgrade you can do will be a slight improvement at best - and adding RAM beyond 8 G won't do much, either -- and thee GPU is not upgradeable at all.

October 1st, 2017 02:00

This laptop has slots for two drives. So I would suggest you get an SSD from Samsung, since they have the best migration tools. So add the SSD to the second slot, fire up samsung SSD migration tool and let it clone your disk to SSD. You can also keep Your HDD in the second slot for additional storage so that you dont have to buy an expensive SSD, 240...256GB is more than enough for Windows and programs. You only have to be careful to make sure that your computer will not keep booting from the old drive Windows installation. For the best way to guarantee that is to remove the HDD, get a USB HDD caddy and boot the system up from your new SSD, verify that all your data is there and then just delete the Windows folder from your old drive. Also, remember to install the latest Intel Rapid Storage drivers and install Samsung Magican to enable Trim and overhead for long lasting super fast storage. And, as always, BACK UP YOUR CRITICAL DATA FIRST! You might lose everything, if something goes wrong with the process.

No Events found!