Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2016 09:00

Upgraded hardware on Inspiron 7559, now stuck in Automatic Repair loop?

So, I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 7559, and decided to upgrade it with another 8GB RAM and a 120GB 850 Evo SSD. Directly after installing these, upon boot I was taken to a white screen reading: "The amount of system memory may have changed" with the options of "Continue" "BIOS Setup" and "Diagnostics". When I continue, I am asked to chose my keyboard layout, and then am taken to a screen with an array of options, such as "Continue", "Troubleshoot", "Use a device", etc. I have tried many of the options and solutions I've found with some googling, but nothing is working. When I continue, I'm taken to a screen with a circular loading animation that reads "Preparing automatic repair...", and then I am taken back to the "Choose your keyboard layout" screen. I've ran the diagnostics, albeit to an extent (I have not completed the second part of the diagnostics reading the memory, which takes 5+ hours), but what was tested was a-okay. I have factory restored, and reset Windows 10. I am pretty certain that this isn't due to faulty hardware with the aftermarket installations I made, as the Samsung SSD and Crucial RAM both came from the manufacturer on Amazon, both products having 5 stars. Anyone have any ideas? UPDATE: I completed the second part of the diagnostics; I passed.

7 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 02:00

So, I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 7559, and decided to upgrade it with another 8GB RAM and a 120GB 850 Evo SSD. Directly after installing these, upon boot I was taken to a white screen reading: "The amount of system memory may have changed" with the options of "Continue" "BIOS Setup" and "Diagnostics". When I continue, I am asked to chose my keyboard layout, and then am taken to a screen with an array of options, such as "Continue", "Troubleshoot", "Use a device", etc. I have tried many of the options and solutions I've found with some googling, but nothing is working. When I continue, I'm taken to a screen with a circular loading animation that reads "Preparing automatic repair...", and then I am taken back to the "Choose your keyboard layout" screen. I've ran the diagnostics, albeit to an extent (I have not completed the second part of the diagnostics reading the memory, which takes 5+ hours), but what was tested was a-okay. I have factory restored, and reset Windows 10. I am pretty certain that this isn't due to faulty hardware with the aftermarket installations I made, as the Samsung SSD and Crucial RAM both came from the manufacturer on Amazon, both products having 5 stars. Anyone have any ideas?

June 23rd, 2016 02:00

Hi YK300,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Please check with one new hardware at a time and check if the system is booting normally.

Can you check in BIOS if they are listed.

Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id

7 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 10:00

I have booted with each one individually installed, as well as without either piece of hardware, and I am still in the loop. The SSD shows up in BIOS, but I'm not sure where I would find the RAM in the BIOS. My service tag is CLGJ8B2.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

What happens if you remove the new RAM and install the oriignal?

7 Posts

Oops, just realized I accidentally created a duplicate thread.

Anyways, I should have specified; I installed another 8GB RAM alongside the original 8GB RAM. I have tried booting with only the original RAM, and the same thing happens.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 23rd, 2016 11:00

Next question :  was the SSD installed with the original drive, or worse - was the original drive cloned to the SSD and then left in place while the system was booted?

7 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 20:00

Sorry, not quite sure what you mean; my knowledge with hardware isn't very extensive. All I did was install the SSD in to the M.2 slot as well as the RAM in its corresponding slot. The stock drive for the laptop is a 2.5" 1TB HDD/8GB SSD hybrid. The laptop feature an open M.2 slot, which is where I installed the SSD.

7 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 20:00

Meant to clarify in that post: I did not tamper with the Samsung SSD at all before installing it. It went right from the package in to the computer.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 24th, 2016 04:00

Best approach:  Remove the new memory and the SSD and use your factory recovery media to reload the original software image.  Then try the upgrades, memory first, one at a time.

7 Posts

June 27th, 2016 14:00

I factory restored with only the original hardware in, and I am still in the Automatic Repair loop.

No Events found!