Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2012 10:00

Upgraded to Windows 8 and no longer seeing Graphics Card on system

Hi i'm hoping someone can help me with the issue i'm having.

I recently upgraded my Alienware M17xR3 from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Since upgrading i have been unable to see my RADEON HD 6990M in DXDIAG. The only graphics i see is the built-in Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. I've tried looking for drivers for Windows 8 but cannot find any compatible with my system. Does anyone have a solution to this so i can use the ATI card instead of the built-in card, withut having to revert back to Windows 7?.

I know i might have to wait for Dell to release the relevant driver for my card but how long should this take, i would have thought there would be a driver to coincide with the release of Windows 8.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

nosyar.

145 Posts

December 30th, 2012 18:00

You can download drivers directly from AMD.com.

8 Posts

December 31st, 2012 08:00

I attempted that but they won't install and refer me to contact the manufacturer of the laptop. Any driver for the card needs to come from Dell seemingly as its a Dell/Alienware system. I would just reinstall windows 7 which came with the machine but where they stuck the cd key on the underside of the laptop, it has worn a couple of the characters away. Regards, Nosyar

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 31st, 2012 11:00

8 Posts

January 1st, 2013 01:00

Thanks natakuc4,

This has helped make a bit of progress. The first link seemed to be going ok but when i tried to install the file, it prompted me to insert a disc. The second link however installed fine, and now i have "AD Radeon HD 6900M Series" appearing in device manager under the Display Adapters heading, alongside the built-in Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. When i check in dxdiag however, the AMD card isn't appearing. I checked the driver info for the AMD card, and it says the driver version is 9.2.0.0 and the date is 27/09/2012.

Does this suggest i am now able to use the card?. From what i'm seeing, i'm assuming that the system is still using the built-in card as default.

Thanks for the help so far,

Regards nosyar.

8 Posts

January 1st, 2013 02:00

I restarted the laptop and the AMD card is now showing as the default in dxdiag, and i tested it with Far Cry 3 and the game can run on much higher settings now.

Thanks natakuc4, the 2nd link you suggested solved it, followed by a restart.

Regards,

nosyar.

8 Posts

January 1st, 2013 07:00

After turning the laptop off for a bit and returning, the graphics card is no longer listed in the device manager or dxdiag, so i'm not sure the problem is fixed after all. Not sure why it has disappeared again, it's a bit frustrating.

79 Posts

July 3rd, 2016 20:00

i would say try far cry 3 again and see if there is any difference in the performance.if there is no difference or if its better then you are good to go.

No Events found!