Highlighted
percy22
6 Indium

Upgraded to win8.1 on Inspiron 1545, only to find op is not supported

Jump to solution

Hi,
I'm not doing too bad, have most things working, sound, video etc
am determined to stick with it ..
one really big help would be to understand x64 , e.g WOW64 is something I can use apparently
to help with drivers and stuff that my dell won't recognise or work with due to being unsupported>
can anyone point me to others experience in the forums of how they are getting on with win8.1 on their systems
thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

RE: Upgraded to win8.1 on Inspiron 1545, only to find op is not supported

Jump to solution

Hi Percy22

X64 just means 64bit  vs. x86 which is 32bit. since you have a 2 thread (single core dual thread processing) your 1545 (which I think is a great machine) is able to processes 64 bit instruction

. As for 8.1 on the 1545. It isn't supported for any OS past Windows 7. You can still find drivers that are digitally signed by Dell but you won't find them under your model on the support page so you'll need to do some poking around. A little trial and error is just what the Dr. ordered. If you were looking for a project...ya got one! It CAN be done ...I stuffed window 7 x64 onto a Dell Inspiron 1501 and got everything including a version of Dell Quickset from the Dell support site. What worked for me is searching for drivers by description..for example maybe I would try Synaptics Dell Touchpad Windows 8.1 and then try 8.1 x64 for more stringent results. There's no way to assist you with this and naturally if you run into problems Dell will advise you to revert to Win7 for that model, but I hope that points you in the right direction.

Dell™ Community Forum since 2013

Not employed by Dell™

0 Kudos
11 Replies
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi Percy22

X64 just means 64bit  vs. x86 which is 32bit. since you have a 2 thread (single core dual thread processing) your 1545 (which I think is a great machine) is able to processes 64 bit instruction

. As for 8.1 on the 1545. It isn't supported for any OS past Windows 7. You can still find drivers that are digitally signed by Dell but you won't find them under your model on the support page so you'll need to do some poking around. A little trial and error is just what the Dr. ordered. If you were looking for a project...ya got one! It CAN be done ...I stuffed window 7 x64 onto a Dell Inspiron 1501 and got everything including a version of Dell Quickset from the Dell support site. What worked for me is searching for drivers by description..for example maybe I would try Synaptics Dell Touchpad Windows 8.1 and then try 8.1 x64 for more stringent results. There's no way to assist you with this and naturally if you run into problems Dell will advise you to revert to Win7 for that model, but I hope that points you in the right direction.

Not employed by Dell™

0 Kudos
percy22
6 Indium

Jump to solution

thank you,

it is a project for sure, all the diagnostics are 100%,
a couple of things: I think I remember ATI M92 Graphics having its own display adapter in Device Manager
But I can't get this to show up, so I'm assuming I'm just using the onboard intel chipsets
funny how ATI drivers install catalyst manager -- the installation went well, but I should see an ATI in control panel
so I can switch between the two graphics if I want to -- not sure about this

the sound test IDT hisses, but apart form that in applications its perfect.

I just realised I had bought 2 disks , win8.1 x32 and win8.1 x64
on reflection perhaps I should have gone with the 32bit .. I don't know
as on dell supportdrivers neither version of win8 are supported .. what's better ?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

You can get the Graphics driver for that at the AMD site now. (ATI/Radeon) that's what I did with the 1501. If you have 4GB RAM x64 is the way to go. That machine LOVES dual channel mode memory handling.  Keep at it! you pull it off if you stay on it

Not employed by Dell™

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

3 will do but I wouldn't get down to 2.GB RAM...it will still run ...just not very well. and you really REALLY want to have memory in both slots.

Not employed by Dell™

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Regarding the graphics, without the legacy catalyst intall manager your PC will run from the integrated Intel Express graphics. You'll get much better performance with the ATI Catalyst. and it will show up in device manager after it's installed. You won't be able to switch between them and frankly there isn't a good reason to do so. There is a licensing issue ...Dell would have had to negotiate it with their Intel contract in order for that feature to be available...but to what end right? Now I'm curious to re-locate the info on the details for how that goes. Guess I have a little project of mine own. 

Not employed by Dell™

0 Kudos
percy22
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Nearly home and dry buddy
I have 3GIG RAM , that's what it came with ..
the auto tool on amd won't work,
but now you have  reminded me its ati- radeon ( I forgot that bit )
I have ticked all the right boxes, mobility radeon HD 4xxx series
win 8.1 x64 .. installed the driver
you get the catalyst GUI and it does its stuff
now for it to work I know its going to have to detect new hardware
somewhere along the line --
I'm afraid it won't pick up the ATI graphics
only one adapter in device manager - reboot etc no good .. just the intel mobile chipset
ahh I've tried 4/5 different drivers, even the one on my dell support homepage for the inspiron
 -- the main one on the amd website is 200 mb its fits all
that ought to have worked its the most recent ....tried that before ..

the autodetect says "we we're unable to find your operating system or product ???

0 Kudos
percy22
6 Indium

Jump to solution

bud  the 1545 is not supported it tell you, Toshiba laptops ( DELL )
the generic drivers don't work -- which is a real pity as have to go back to win7

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Percy,....

I thought I mentioned...maybe I didn't ...you can get the ATI/RADEON legacy Catalyst right from the AMD website. I didn't even LOOK for it at dell when I got it.  The other thing that might be happening here is ...are you ABSOLUTELY positive your 1545 has dedicated ATI graphics.? That machine comes configured both ways ...one with ...one without ATI...which is okay ...there's nothing wrong with the Intel Graphics but if available I'd definately prefer the ATI.

ALSO you might try running the installer in compatibility mode...just a thought. I haven't tried this with 8.1 yet.

Not employed by Dell™

0 Kudos
skaebne
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi N7U,

I'm glad I found this post; most posts on the 1501 are years old.

I also have a 1501 that I'm trying to squeeze some life out of as a number cruncher.  I succeeded in installing Windows 7 and completing the driver updates, but I can't seem to update the Intel Chipset device software.  

The file I've found on the download sites is for the Intel 5 Series/3400 chipset, v 9.1.1.1015, which is contained in the executable file R228043.exe.  The installer will not perform the installation on my 1501, stating my computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.  I'm running Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit SP1 with the latest upgrades, BIOS rev 2.6.3, and 4GB RAM (showing 3.87GB useable).

I would like to bump the RAM to 8GB, which a number of people reported doing on the 1501 in the past, but when I installed 2x4GB SODIMM PC2-4200 modules, which work on the Dell D830 D630, the computer won't boot.  If I put one of my 2GB modules in slot 1 and a 4GB in slot 2, I get a DRAM refresh error.

Have you had any luck with more than 4GB of RAM?  If so, what chipset device software are you using? I am guessing this is the culprit, since it does control memory addressing, but it might be something else altogether.

I appreciate any insight you might have on this problem.  FWIW, all the other 64-bit drivers installed with no problems.

0 Kudos