Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2013 01:00

Upgrading Processor in Dell Studio 1745 (Core 2 to i5)

I have a Dell Studio 1745 that came with a Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.2Ghz

I've researched, I can find nothing to indicate if this is possible however...

I want to upgrade it to the SLBTV - Intel Core i5-540M 2.53GHz/3M PGA988/BGA1288

Now they are both technically Socket P

I know with the 1747 they changed the socket so that it could have an i7, however would the Socket P i5 work with the 1745?

It is running the most updated Bios A04 if that helps.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 7th, 2013 08:00

"At $70 I could have had this build at an i7 and still only been at $453.00. Also, if the motherboard supports Raid 0 for the SATA ports, I'd like to add a mPCIe 256GB SSD for $150~ and use that for the OS and RAID 0 the 2x 1TB drives."

The system has no RAID support at all - nor will it take an mSATA drive (yes, mSATA drives are physically the same as mini-PCIe, but the electrical connection is very different, and your system pre-dates mSATA by quite some time.

27 Posts

November 7th, 2013 08:00

Okay, so the motherboard I purchased is the LA-5155P.

According to the technician I spoke with at Dell there is only one motherboard that does not support touch screen (doesn't have the connector) and I did not draw the short straw so I should be good. He also confirmed for me that the motherboard I ordered will fit in the 1745 case as well.

He was so kind as to give me the exact model number for the screen that would have come with my board should I have ordered it touch screen as well which is 79YFH. He was uncertain about whether or not D655T was the correct cable but he was pretty sure it is.

Best part of all, the cable is cheap and I found that screen for under $65.

All in all, not including what I will get back from selling my old motherboard / processor / screen / etc. this has been a great deal.

With $115 for the motherboard / processor / and heatsinks, $80 for screen / cable, $20 for back-lit keyboard.

I only paid less than an hundred bucks for the computer. I looked them up online and you can find broken 1745's cheap.

So say you pay $200 (which would be a LOT) for a broken system, say bad motherboard or screen or both.

Here's what I spent, but what I ended up with:

$100 System itself (though I think it was more like $80)

$65 Motherboard w/ 1GB 5650 Graphics Card

$20 for Heatsinks to go with motherboard

$30 for i5 -540M Processor

$65 for 17.3" touch panel!

$15 Touch Cable

$20 for a back-lit keyboard.

I have 8GB Ram ($40 at Fry's about a year ago) and 2x 1TB HDD's that I purchased on NewEgg on sale for $50 each.

I paid $6 for a bluetooth module and $17 for the TV Card.

Factoring in how easy it would be to duplicate this and how easy it would be to get a broken system without a motherboard / screen / HDD or RAM for $100 or less.

I'll end up with the following system.

i5 - 540M @ 2.53Ghz
8GB PC 1066
2x 1TB HDD
BlueTooth & Good WiFi
TV Tuner
17.3" Multi-Touch Screen!
Back-Lit Keyboard
1GB ATI 5650 Graphics

All for a Total Cost:
$413.00 USD

Now imagine if someone could live with the 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD it came with.

You can't touch this kind of system for this price anywhere, not used or otherwise!

The only things I'd do different or still may.

I purchased that processor by mistake, thinking back I could get an i7 for about twice as much and I would have. I should be able to easily get my money back on that i5 and probably will after I have the system running smooth and know I'm all good. At $70 I could have had this build at an i7 and still only been at $453.00. Also, if the motherboard supports Raid 0 for the SATA ports, I'd like to add a mPCIe 256GB SSD for $150~ and use that for the OS and RAID 0 the 2x 1TB drives.

I will go ahead and post the results of the build when the parts come in and I build it. I'm also gonna make a YouTube video of the upgrade.

27 Posts

November 7th, 2013 13:00

I know mPCIe is not the same as mSATA, however I've spent a lot of time looking into this very issue.

I've heard of several SSD's that are supposed to work in WWAN slots that have their own built in SATA controllers.

OCZ, Samsung, Supertalent and I've heard others say they make drives that work in this manor.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-256GB-mSATA-Internal-CT256M4SSD3/dp/B0085J17UA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369774068&sr=8-1&keywords=msata+SSD

Is one example I've read works.

Also, there are mPCIe PATA/IDE interface drives that have their own controller as well like those used in the Dell Mini 9.

Granted, I know it will take some testing however I believe there's a strong chance I can get one to work.

If I can, and can manage to get it to boot, striping the two SATA drives into a raid shouldn't be too hard even without native raid support.

Granted this is all stuff that takes a bit of work to accomplish but I'm always up for a challenge.

After all according to many my entire build is impossible but I've no doubt in a few weeks time I'll be posting soon on a Dell Studio 1945 (1949) with touch screen. I'm very persistent and if it means flashing into the bios or a little soldering then that's what I'll have to do.

27 Posts

November 19th, 2013 00:00

Just FYI for those interested in upgrading their Dell Studio 17

I successfully upgraded all but one of my upgrades and the one I didn't was only due to a lack of knowing I needed one part (which I have now ordered).

My budget build pimped Dell Studio upgraded from 1745 to 1749 was a total success.

The motherboard w/ the new heat sinks worked flawlessly.

The only miscalculation I made was I needed to purchase a new "top" or back to the screen. It cost me $44 for a Dell Refurbished designer one which I must admit is a huge upgrade in appearance to the not so nice one that I got it with.

It seems not only is the screen slightly wider, but the new back has a screw hole to install the circuit board for the touch cable to plug into.

I'm confident in absolute success as testing the screen without the new back recognized right away.

My uber inexpensive super laptop is crazy fast and so far is having no issues at all.

After I install the touch screen I'll run some performance tests and 3DMark once the CPU and GPU have settled into their new thermal compound.

I video taped the install as I will with the touch screen.

The edited version along with the specs & 3DMark will be posted on youtube as soon as it's all done.

For those that have a dell Studio 174X and want to upgrade the video all I can tell you is DO IT! It's very worth it and not that expensive, especially compared to purchasing a new laptop.

As for parts interchangeability, I am using a case/accessories to a Studio 1745, Screen/Touch Panel, etc from 1747, and motherboard from 1749.

27 Posts

November 19th, 2013 00:00

For those interested in my experiment.

It worked.

I did need a new screen back, but that's okay since I was going to purchase one anyway.

As for the rest all I can say is it was VERY worth it and I'm extremely impressed with the results.

I'll post a link to the youtube video when it's 100% complete.

Though I've tested it, I need to wait for the new screen back to put that part on.

Graphics card, new processor & motherboard all performing great.

Had to make a text file identifying where the parts came from though, the drivers disk will contain drivers from all 3 models of the 174X.

1 Message

December 30th, 2013 17:00

Hey any update or link to video? Im really interested in doing exactly what you did, as I love this laptop and getting it to a i series cpu would be amazing. Thanks!

August 10th, 2014 05:00

Hello, pcphantom do you have an email where i can contact you im about to do the same upgrade as you i would need some tips for purchasing the right parts could you help me please.

Regards

1 Message

April 4th, 2015 01:00

So how did it go? What is video URL?

5 Posts

November 29th, 2016 08:00

Hello studio1745upgrade,

I'm finally upgrading my 1745 now. I need to determine if I need the heatsink or not. I currently have the 1745 mobile intel 4 series express chipset. With a core 2 duo processor. I am assuming this isn't the 4650hd gpx and I will need the heatsink but was hoping you can confirm this. Thanks,

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 29th, 2016 11:00

If you're replacing the processor with another Core 2, you will re-use the heatsink.

If what you're doing is replacing the mainboard with one from a later 1747 or 1749 model -- or replacing an Intel-video board with an AMD or nVidia board - you will need to replace the heatsink; the original won't fit the replacement board.  If you have a 65W adapter, you'll need to replace it with a 90W or higher adapter as well.

5 Posts

November 29th, 2016 12:00

Thanks ejn63.

I will be replacing the 1745 mainboard with a 1749. I will add the heatsink to my list. Will i also need the fan for the heatsink? Also, thanks for the adapter info didn't know about that. ( i think i have a spare lying around somewhere.)

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 29th, 2016 15:00

The fan should be the same.  That said, if you're buying parts, bear in mind that complete working used 1749 systems start at under $50.00 on EBay --  so keep that in mind if you're planning on buying a board, heatsink, etc. separately.  It  may be cheaper to simply buy a complete system (and have a set of spare parts on hand, or sell the existing system to offset the cost).

5 Posts

December 10th, 2016 14:00

I thought about buying a the whole system for $50 but i am upgrading the CPU to Intel Core i7-640M 2.80GHz 4M Dual Core G1 (SLBTN), and I need to dissemble to do that anyway. All my parts came in and I was working on it today and realized the GPU needs its own heatsink. I read through the forum again and I must have missed that. Guess i need to wait another week.

No Events found!