Highlighted
Not applicable

RE: Upgrading Processor in Dell Studio 1745 (Core 2 to i5)

Jump to solution

Hey any update or link to video? Im really interested in doing exactly what you did, as I love this laptop and getting it to a i series cpu would be amazing. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello, pcphantom do you have an email where i can contact you im about to do the same upgrade as you i would need some tips for purchasing the right parts could you help me please.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

So how did it go? What is video URL?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello HATCH38

i never got contact from PCPHANTOM about it 

so i took and did same upgrade by myself!

it works u only need new motherboard and new heatsinks

if   u have 4650hd gpx on ur old mobo then u can re use the heatsink they are same on 4650hd and 5650hd

the best cpu u can use is i7 640m 2.8ghz thats what i bought

everything fits in no problems i added ssd and this laptop is a beast

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hello studio1745upgrade,

I'm finally upgrading my 1745 now. I need to determine if I need the heatsink or not. I currently have the 1745 mobile intel 4 series express chipset. With a core 2 duo processor. I am assuming this isn't the 4650hd gpx and I will need the heatsink but was hoping you can confirm this. Thanks,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
10 Diamond

Jump to solution

If you're replacing the processor with another Core 2, you will re-use the heatsink.

If what you're doing is replacing the mainboard with one from a later 1747 or 1749 model -- or replacing an Intel-video board with an AMD or nVidia board - you will need to replace the heatsink; the original won't fit the replacement board.  If you have a 65W adapter, you'll need to replace it with a 90W or higher adapter as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks ejn63.

I will be replacing the 1745 mainboard with a 1749. I will add the heatsink to my list. Will i also need the fan for the heatsink? Also, thanks for the adapter info didn't know about that. ( i think i have a spare lying around somewhere.)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
10 Diamond

Jump to solution

The fan should be the same.  That said, if you're buying parts, bear in mind that complete working used 1749 systems start at under $50.00 on EBay --  so keep that in mind if you're planning on buying a board, heatsink, etc. separately.  It  may be cheaper to simply buy a complete system (and have a set of spare parts on hand, or sell the existing system to offset the cost).

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I thought about buying a the whole system for $50 but i am upgrading the CPU to Intel Core i7-640M 2.80GHz 4M Dual Core G1 (SLBTN), and I need to dissemble to do that anyway. All my parts came in and I was working on it today and realized the GPU needs its own heatsink. I read through the forum again and I must have missed that. Guess i need to wait another week.

0 Kudos