Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 24th, 2014 00:00

Upgrading Studio xps 1645 Laptop

Hi I have a studio xps 1645 Intel(R) core(TM2) duo CPU P8600 @ 240GHz with 4GB ram, 64 bit operating system.

I have had this laptop for 6 years now and would like to upgrade it to an i5 or an i7. I would look at replacing it completely but it is not possible to do so with blu-ray player. So I thought how about upgrading the components.

I would like to know if it would be possible to upgrade with new: -

Motherboard and either 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 Processor or i7 chip set,

8 or 16 GB of DDR3  ram 

2GB GDDR5 Nvidia® GeForce GT 750M video card

Also what other components might I need such as heat sink.

I am looking for a straight swap over of components, if these parts do exist with the ability to still keep my blu-ray player working with them pls let me know, also links to these components would be a help.   

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 24th, 2014 03:00

What you want to do is not possible.  There were successor models with i5 and i7 CPUs, but those use different boards that require a different base assembly - about the components you can re-use are the keyboard, drives and possibly the display panel.  If you go that route, you'd be better off buying a complete, used system of the type you want --- but you'll still be limited to older-generation processors, and nothing you'll find will have anywhere near that new a video chip.

Though optical drives are disappearing from new systems, it is also still possible to get external, USB drives - so you can have BluRay in a new system that way.

November 24th, 2014 10:00

Thank's for the reply I think for now I will just have to keep using my existing laptop until it dies completely as a new xps is way more in cost than I am willing to pay for right now. 

No Events found!