8 Krypton

RE: Upgrading an XPS L702X to Windows 10, a report

Jump to solution

no, i didnt use the recovery drive.. after the upgrade to windows 10, i went back and used the media creation tool to make the "clean install" dvd .

i had the dvd in my drive and i opened it in file manager. and it started the install, and i clicked the option of - not keeping my stuff. i thought it would delete everything, but i like i said it didnt. i got a clean desktop, it removed all the old program, deleted all the files in the main folders, pictures, downloads, etc. but alot of the folders i had made were still there, and a directory that it had made for old windows. 

i think i made the mistake of not booting the dvd for the install. so maybe thats why it didnt redo the partitions and remove everything like i had thought it was doing. i never got the option to do anything to the partition.

hope im clear trying to explain this. any help would be great. i read or at least look thru everything u put on here. very impressive the time u put in to help us all.

0 Kudos
tasonecomp
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have cleanly installed windows 10 to my XPS 17 (702x) with only one issue.

Can advise about the webcam, as I cant get that to work anyhow (even in windows 7).

The issue I have is the inbuilt AverMedia H339 Hybrid Analog/DVN-T Telly device.

I have the drivers for it, and it shows as working in device manager.

but I need a application to view telly as you use to use media center, but with that gone. what do you use now?

can anyone help?

thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

got it working and installed (cross my fingers) right, thx for ur help in ur posts. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voodoo Priest
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I am back on Windows 8.1 after two days of reinstalling, copying over user data and testing. With the exception of deactivating the touchpad, which as know is not functional, the system works perfectly. I truly miss pointer inertia though.

@tasonecomp: if you've done the clean install and got only an issue with the webcam, and the drivers installed without an error *and* the Device manager tells you that everything is OK, then everything really is. You can test your webcam using Skype. The correct option should be easy to find if you go in the audio and video settings.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

ok I got the camera to work on mine, issue was webcam central tried to startup with whatever program i used that had camera access be it the app or skype it would lock up the image, simple right clicking the webcam central in the notifications area and disabling automatically launch when a video stream starts fixed the issue for me..

all of the software is working perfectly on mine, EXCEPT touch gestures its more of at 50%, cause all gestures still work in win32 programs but no go for the windows 10 apps or ui

I even got quickset to work great and I can disable the touchpad easy if yall need the drivers ill point it in your direction I might even upload them for everyone... ive taken the last 3 days to find them, and i just got this laptop last week as a steal on ebay lol love it.. 

and actually the audio driver i got doesnt work with the maxx audio but I dont need it as i got x-fi software on (personal preference but I love it alot better, even though my subwoofer doesnt work which is hard ware failure of the speaker i already got the part ordered and cant wait to install it)

0 Kudos
Voodoo Priest
6 Indium

Jump to solution

@Cobra11Murderer: yes, could you please give references to the drivers? The deactivation of the touchpad has been a long standing issue. It only worked in Windows 7.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

alrighty, I pulled alot of them from slimware, to disable the touchpad you need quickset, 

ok so heres a list of ones im using now

KT7XG - acceleramator 

W2TF8 - this is the touchpad driver thats currently out (sadly there isnt a update for it)

R292835 - Quickset for the L702X this controls the disable or enable of the touchpad as far as I know its version is 11.0.8

61X2W - is of course the usb 3.0 host controller which im not sure is needed at all in 10 since 8 and 10 has usb 3.0 drivers from the get go

intel's chipset driver 10.0.22 (A00) October 22, 2014 could also fix the touchpad driver I would think

these are the main ones I got installed so maybe that should help yall I know mine is working perfectly! it isnt the touchpad driver though.. if I was yall try installing that R292835 quickset first and see how it does, mind ya I installed all of these in 7 so idk if they will prevent install in 10 or not.. when I upgraded it kept them in place..

also slimware utilites driver program is very helpful thats where i got some of those from not to advertise another site on here or anything like that https://www.slimwareutilities.com/slimdrivers.php but anyways let me know how it goes and if yall still need them ill find the appropriate links to them for ya

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Quick suggestion on the slowness issue...replace your C:\ drive with an SSD. Doesn't cost much, and you'll love the performance improvement.

One of the things that I noticed was that the fans are running more. I did a lot of looking around to see if there was extra stuff running that I didn't need, vacuumed out dust, etc. Helped to a small degree, but the fans are still on higher and more than Windows 8.1. Just ordered a cooling pad to see if that will keep the laptop fans off more. We'll see.

Otherwise, I really like Windows 10. Works great on my Lenovo K450e desktop...of course Lenovo makes Windows 10 drivers available, which is very helpful. The only problem I'm having is this expensive Dell laptop and the fact that Windows Update keeps wanting to replace the Windows 7/8 drivers from Dell with generic drivers, screwing up the audio and video capabilities.

I thought I had figured out how to keep Windows Update from crunching the Dell drivers, but it turns out that didn't work completely. My newest attempt is to leave the WIndows Update generic audio driver update installed, and install the Dell OEM driver on top of it. This is working, and hopefully because the Windows Update generic driver is listed as being installed, Windows Update will stop trying to install it. Got my fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

to stop drivers upgrade win 10

control panel  - type "advanced systems settings"  in search

click view advanced system settings

click hardware tab

then - device installation settings

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

what i did to ease temps and fan is basically turn off the turbo boost with the i7, you do that by changing your power settings and on battery and on charge instead of allowing those run 100% for cpu just put it on 99% and it wont over clock thus your temps and everything else will stay quite cool 

0 Kudos