Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2009 07:00

Upgrading the Video Card on a D800

I am trying to upgrade my old D800 from an NVIDIA 64mb card to one with 128mb of video memory.  I have tried an ATI Radeon and an NVIDIA 5650 and neither of them will work correctly.  The LCD screen is filled with lines and specks, the text in the BIOS screens is garbled, and nothing I seem to do changes the symptoms with either replacement card.  I tried updating the BIOS to A13, the latest on the Dell support site thinking that may be the problem, but to no avail.  It doesn't seem to be the drivers because the BIOS text is messed up.  Even the DELL logo logon screen has lines and specs, so it's something about the different card that is causing the problem, no matter which card is installed.  When I go back to the NVIDIA Go 5200, everything is fine, again.  Is there something else I'm missing in the replacement process that needs to be done for the system to work correctly with a different video card?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 29th, 2009 09:00

There was as I recall, a Hitachi screen - that would not work with the 128M cards.  Is your panel a Hitachi?

6 Posts

September 30th, 2009 13:00

Thanks for the response.  I don't know aobut the LCD Panel but that would explain my problems.  Is there an easy way to determine that without having to dissassemble it (the display)?

Bruce

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 30th, 2009 16:00

Sometimes the "original configuration" list will list the LCD model.  support.dell.com, enter service tag.  Choose original configuration.

No Events found!