Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 23rd, 2014 05:00

Use of Dedicated Graphic Card

My laptop is Dell Inspiron 15r 5537

I have a 2GB AMD 8850M Dedicated Graphic memory

The problem is most the the games i play do not use this one but instead use the Integrated Graphics INtel HD 4400.

Is there any possible way to force the games to use the AMD card? I tried setting in the Catatlst Control center to 'High Performance' but it is not working.

Please Help!

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 23rd, 2014 12:00

It does boost video performance vs. integrated-only video and is cheaper to build than a system with true, discrete video (something now found only in high end notebooks - usually at $1,500 or higher price points).

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 23rd, 2014 06:00

You do not have a dedicated video chip - it's an AMD co-processor.  Only high end gaming systems have true dedicated video.  Your system uses the Intel GPU for output of all video data to the screen - the AMD GPU is simply called into use as  a co-processor.

If you've set the games you play to run with the AMD GPU, that's what will happen -- as long as the games support the hybrid video setup (not all do).  The Intel GPU remains primary -- that's the only way it can operate, since it's the only one with a physical connection to the screen.

4 Posts

March 23rd, 2014 06:00

So does that mean that both the Intel and the AMD GPU's are used by the games? 

And you meant to say that the AMD card just acts as a substitute to the Intel GPU?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 23rd, 2014 07:00

The Intel GPU is used at all time, yes.  The AMD GPU is just a video co-processor.

4 Posts

March 23rd, 2014 11:00

Thanks for the info but What's the use of getting a laptop with AMD graphic card which would just act as a co-processor and does not function as a primary device?

1 Message

July 30th, 2014 03:00

hello,dell my AMD card the computer is saying is unistalled plz reply me what to do & the music app, vidio app, map app, sype app ,play store , new app, abay app, finance app almost all app is not opening
No Events found!