During the holidays recently, I accidentally left my Dell charger at a family member's home so while it was being shipped down, I ran out and bought a universal charger to hold me over for a couple days of work until my original charger arrived. While using the universal charger, it worked when I was plugged into the wall, but was not charging the battery at all (I.e. Would die when I unplugged it). I've read some articles that Dell restricts third party chargers, so I understand that may have been the issue. Well, my Dell charger finally arrived and it is now having the same issue where it's not charging. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Did using the universal charger change some sort of setting? Or did it actually damage the motherboard?
Thanks in advance!
Please list your Dell model number and version of windows. Example: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10
In the meantime, I'd suggest you check the status of AC adapter and battery in BIOS. Please follow steps below:
1. Power off system. Disconnect all peripherals - Printer, Flash drive, External Drive, etc....)
2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously. You should be in the BIOS
In the main tab, look for AC adapter type, If it says None or Unknown then it's a issue with the AC adapter. Note: You can wiggle adapter while checking in BIOS.
In the Advanced tab, look for Battery Health, it should say 'Battery Is Performing Normally'. If it says any other message then it's a issue with the battery, and most likely needs to replace with a new one.
If AC adapter type doesn't show up as None or Unknown and Battery Health says Battery Is Performing Normally or Excellent in the Bios then I suggest you Reset BIOS Defaults. Please go to BIOS again, in the Main Screen tab, stroll down to the bottom of page, and press F9 to load defaults and F10 to save and exit.
I called Dell to see if they had any ideas prior to receiving any feedback here and they had me restart the computer and now it won't turn on at all so they are supposed to be sending someone out. Knew I shouldn't have turned it off!! Thanks all.