Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 13th, 2013 16:00

Using HDMI port mutes audio to headphone/speaker output

I just purchased a 15R Special Edition 7520. I placed the laptop in a desktop situation (use ext. keyboard + mouse + HD 1920x1080 monitor). Obviously I want to use the HDMI output to link to the HD monitor, like I have done for many years with my XPS 1640 laptop with HD HDMI output. I was surprised to see that when the HDMI out put is used the audio to the speaker/headphone jack is muted. I have searched through all the on-board menus, but cannot find a setting to allow audio to continue being outputted while the HDMI jack is in use. 

Am I missing something here? I assumed this laptop would operate the same as the XPS 1640, in applications where the operator is using an HD monitor in a desktop situation (no built in monitor speakers) or a situation where you desire to feed your own audio system directly from the Laptop. BTW, I also own a DELL ZINO HD desktop with HDMI output, which does not behave the same way the 15R does. That system isalso hooked vis HDMI to an HD monitor, with no muting of the local sound.

Am I the only one who as had thisd prob? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks... Paul...

---

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 13th, 2013 16:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

What operating system are you using? Can you plug in the HDMI cable, then check with Control Panel > Sounds then see the list of sound devices. Right click which device you want to set as default for Audio Output.

Let me know if this helps. Regards,

1 Message

March 14th, 2014 23:00

I seem to have the same problem. My laptop also a inspiron 15r is hooked to a monitor through what I believe is an hdmi cable. I have tried using two different types of headphones and the sound still comes through the laptop speakers instead of the headphones. The answer posted to your question makes no sense to me. Did you resolve the problem and how did you do it?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 15th, 2014 06:00

I seem to have the same problem.

the sound still comes through the laptop speakers instead of the headphones.

Hello. If the sound is coming through your laptop speakers then you don't have the same problem. The original poster's problem was that  when he connected his laptop to his monitor via HDMI, there was no sound through the laptop's speakers..

The answer posted to your question makes no sense to me.

Elijah O's answer was to select some device other than HDMI to be the default playback device, so that audio would no longer be routed to the HDMI port. That was the correct answer. The original poster had an Inspiron 15R SE 7520. That model has Conexant audio, so the Playback devices would look like this:

If the original poster had right-clicked on "Speakers" and made it the default audio device, then the audio signal would have been routed to the laptop's speakers and the problem fixed.

the sound still comes through the laptop speakers instead of the headphones.

My laptop also a inspiron 15r

What is your operating system and the exact model of your laptop? The 15R's are:

Inspiron 5520, 5521, 5537, N5110, and SE 7520.

If yours is an Inspiron 5521, the current Realtek audio driver has a bug that affects the headphone jack. On that model you have to use an older version of the Realtek driver or else the headphone jack won't work.

1 Message

March 16th, 2014 17:00

Let me see if I get this straight......the sound comes out of the TV when you are using the HDMI cable.  Now, you disconnect the HDMI cable and there is 0 sound coming from laptop speakers or headphones?  If this is what is happening, I had the same exact problem.  In my situation, there was a Windows and a Dell driver fighting each other.  Go into Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and uninstall IDT audio or look in the device manager and delete the IDT audio Driver.  I took my computer in to a repair shop and they couldn't figure this out in 1 weeks time.  A friend of mine looked at it for 10 minutes and fixed it.  Hope this helps.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 17th, 2014 06:00

Let me see if I get this straight......the sound comes out of the TV when you are using the HDMI cable.  Now, you disconnect the HDMI cable and there is 0 sound coming from laptop speakers or headphones?

Hello. There seems to be some confusion in this thread, with each person talking about a different issue. Neither of the earlier posters wrote that they had no audio when the HDMI cable was dis-connected.

omegatx wrote that he or she could not get audio through the laptop's speakers while HDMI was connected ("...hooked via HDMI to an HD monitor...").

lattexpress wrote that his or her laptop "is hooked to a monitor through what I believe is an d\hdmi cable". He or she wrote that it is "the same problem" as omegatx, but then described different symptoms. However lattexpress did not say "0 sound". He or she wrote that "...the sound still comes through the laptop speakers instead of the headphones".

1 Message

July 3rd, 2014 06:00

Thanks heaps

2 Posts

October 18th, 2014 23:00

Hi Elijah, well, some good and bad news...  In my case, I was also trying to stop the laptop (XPS 15) from muting the sound out of its speakers / headphone port when I plugged in an HDMI cable (the TV I'm going to connect it to is so old, it doesn't have an HDMI input, so I use an HDMI to DVI cable with it, and need the sound separately fed into the TV).

Your suggestion to go into Control Panel / Sounds was perfect.  I was testing this with another TV that does have an HDMI input, and when I went there, I could see under Playback tab, two sound sources:  Speakers and "Panasonic TV".  So I went into the TV's properties there, and disabled it, and voila!  I got sound back thru the speakers.  So I figured, great, now I've figured it out.

But then I wanted to go back and enable the TV's speakers again, and can't figure out how!  They don't even show anymore in the Playback tab.

Any tips?  When the HDMI cable is plugged in, and I go to Devices, I see the TV as a PnP Generic Monitor (its driver).  Should I uninstall that and reinstall it?  I don't have any other ideas...  If I should do so, where do I find it?  Or is it that after uninstall, when I plug the HDMI cable, it will automatically go out and search the driver and find it?

I tried to Update it also.  When I clicked Update on the driver, it says Microsoft has determined it's the latest one.

Rebooting the laptop didn't help of course...

2 Posts

October 18th, 2014 23:00

Hot diggity!  Found out how finally...  Wow.  Typical Windows setup where nothing is intuitive!

I had to right click in the Playback box, and I saw Show Disconnected Devices was checked off, but not Show Disabled Devices.  When I checked that too, then surprise, the TV showed up again, and I went into its properties and Enabled it.

Phew!

1 Message

January 8th, 2015 19:00

Hi ,

Thx buddy...it's really working...

1 Message

January 25th, 2016 06:00

when I plug in the extra monitor with the laptop all sound goes off, when I got in and disable the extra monitor as a sound device the sound comes back on  through the laptop speakers, but even when I make the speakers the default device, the sound still comes from the laptop, I cannot get my speakers to work

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 25th, 2016 07:00

the sound comes back on  through the laptop speakers.... I cannot get my speakers to work

If the sound is coming through the speakers, what do you mean when you say that you can't get the speakers to work?

1 Message

October 12th, 2016 18:00

I am having similar issues with my Dell Inspiron 15R.

Issue:

I am getting sound only from the laptops' built in speakers.  I can get no sound from my external Creative speakers and I can not get my Bose Bluetooth speaker to play even though the computer says the Bose is connected.

1)  I have two homes and take my laptop back and forth.  Everything was working properly with the Bose at one home. I do not not have a HDMI monitor there and the Bose is my only external speaker.

2)  Now I am at my second home where I have Creative external speakers that I have connected to the laptop BUT this setup has the HDMI monitor.  The Creative speakers will not play (I know they are working because they play using my iphone) and the sound only comes from the laptops internal speakers.  I can not get my Bose Bluetooth speaker to play even though the computer says the Bose is connected.

I read through all the information on this forum and tried all the suggestions as well as running the Dell diagnostic program.  Diagnostics said the computer is broken and needs to be repaired????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7 Posts

November 11th, 2017 18:00

I'm a little late to this party, but I recognize the problem and I do have a solution.

I bought a Dell laptop and found that when I plug the into an HDMI monitor or television, the headphone jack goes dead.

I discovered that the HDMI port was set as the Default Windows sound device.

I changed it to make the headphone jack the Default sound device.

Now the sound comes out of the monitor/TV until I plug in the headphones or external speaker.  Then the sound comes out of the headphones or speaker.

To do this in Windows 10:

Go to the Control Panel.

Select:   Hardware and Sound

Select:   Manage audio devices

Select:   Speakers / Headphones

Click:    Set Default

Click:     OK

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 12th, 2017 05:00

To do this in Windows 10:

Hello NeilFro.

This is one of the most confusing threads ever. The question the original poster asked was correctly answered by Elijah O in 2013, so I have marked his post as the "Verified Answer".

Since 2013, various people have used this thread to raise other issues which makes it very confusing to sort out. I wish  I could delete all posts in the thread except the original post, the answer given by Elijah O, and your post.

Although the path you give to get to the playback devices would not have worked for the original poster, it should be helpful for people who are using the Windows 10 operating system. Thanks for posting.

November 24th, 2017 00:00

Hi Jim C., I understand your frustration with this multiple issue tread-post, but I am having a similar problem.

My Inspiron 15 5000 is hooked up to a Docking Station USB 3.0, which is hooked up to a U2410 Monitor via HDMI cable. I am not getting sound from the laptop speakers when I have the Docking Station hooked up. I tried what has been already mentioned in this multiple issue thread-post. Like going to the control panel, sound, speakers, default. The Dell USB Audio is checked and showing sound in the bars, but no sound is coming out of the speakers in the laptop. Please help.

THANK YOU, Jim G.

No Events found!