Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2011 04:00

Using Recovery Discs

I had to replace the HDD in an Inspiron 1545.  I was able to create the recovery disks first, but I can't find instructions on how to use them to reinstall the factory default system.  What size and type of partitions should I create on the disc, etc.

March 29th, 2011 05:00

If it's anything like my recovery disks, there should be 2. The OS should install automatically once you have selected the hard disk, which will also give you an opportunity to use the whole disk or partition. If you want to partition, I'd suggest 64GB for Windows 7/Vista and 32GB for XP. Yes you can do it with less but these settings should save you from ever having to expand the partition size or extend the volume.

Once complete, stick in the other disk. I can't remember what the link on the driver disk is but there is one that suggests driver install order.

Good luck

2 Posts

March 29th, 2011 06:00

Thanks, Hinge, I was thinking more of the Dell Recovery partition.  I managed to find a utility disk in my drawer that has a partitioner on it and am trying 16GB for the recovery partition formatted as NTFS - I am assuming it has to be "active".  The rest of the disk will be for Vista, but I might split it into C & D drives, 500GB is a heck of a lot for a single partition.

No Events found!