Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 9th, 2015 02:00

Using USB Powershare on XPS13 (Early 2015)

How does powershare work, is it always enabled, only when laptop is sleeping, some other time? Do I have to do something to explicitly enable it (since it does not seem to work with Windows 8.1 as delivered)?

And finally, is all this documented somewhere, and, if so, where?

June 18th, 2015 06:00

Hi David, 

I figured it out. After enabling it in the bios you need to enable the windows power plan to do so. Here is what you do,

1. Right Click the battery icon

2. Go to Power options 

3. Click "change plan settings" for what ever plan you want, 

4. Click "change advanced power settings"

5. Scroll/click the  "USB settings"

6. when you get to "USB selective suspend setting" disable it for both batter and plugged it, this will enable power to the USB when the laptop is off or sleep. 

Let me know if you have other issues. 

Mohammad

June 3rd, 2015 14:00

While I read the manual that requires bios configuration to enable USB powershare, it is still not working for me. any suggestions? 

June 3rd, 2015 14:00

Access the bios by pressing F2 while starting the PC, and then go to the systems option (USB powershare) then enable it. 

It didn't work for me, but this is how it should work. 

Let me know if it works. 

7 Posts

June 4th, 2015 08:00

No, it didn't work for me either.

Interestingly it was disabled so I had high hopes that enabling it would help, it didn't. The accompanying text suggested that enabling it would also require a battery percentage threshold be entered. That seems reasonable, but I didn't see a place to enter it, so I charged up my battery to 100% just to be sure, that did not help.

7 Posts

June 18th, 2015 14:00

Yep, that did it, thanks.

3 Posts

September 20th, 2015 04:00

Doesn't seem to work on my XPS13 9343 with Windows 10. Enabled Powershare in BIOS, changed the power setting and even disabled the power save features for USB root hub. As soon as close my computer lid the power is disabled on the USB ports.

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 15:00

Dell support got it figured out, installed software that removed the drivers completely and reinstalled them, USB ports now charge when in sleep or turned off.

1 Message

November 26th, 2015 17:00

Can you direct me to the software? I am still having this problem.

3 Posts

November 26th, 2015 18:00

They won't let you get that software, their support team uses it and it removes itself from the machine after a while. Give their support and ring and they'll remote to your machine and install the right drivers with the software.

2 Posts

January 14th, 2016 10:00

Hi, I've enabled powershare in the bios and followed the windows power plan settings. As soon as I shut the lid however, charging stops. I'm on Windows 10.

January 15th, 2016 19:00

Hi'

I would unplug the USB cable and plug it after the pc is off  and that seem to work around that. 

Thanks

Mohammad

1 Message

January 22nd, 2016 08:00

XPS13 9343 2015 with Win 10

enabled power sharing in bios and usb preferences in power plans. in sleeping mode now usb charges devices only if i unplug and plug again an external device after XPS shuts off. if i activate in bios laptop awaking by usb external devices the power sharing continues after XPS falls asleep without disconnecting my device i'm charging. but then laptop turns on by mouse even if i switch this off in mouse preferences in control panel

21 Posts

November 23rd, 2016 13:00

Unplugging then plugging back in after asleep does seem to work on my XPS13 9350. But it's hyper-annoying to have to do this. I can't just walk away from the PC with the phone plugged in and it keeps charging when the PC goes to sleep. Likewise if it wakes up and then goes back to sleep, it stops charging. What were they thinking??!?!?!???!

No Events found!