Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2014 03:00

Using a different power adapter (Dell Inspiron N5110)

Good morning guys. I have a question. My power adapter for my laptop (n5110) just recently busted. Its specifications were:

Output: 19.5V, 130W, 6.7A.

Now, I bought a replacement charger which supplies only 90W and 4.6A. I tried charging my battery with it and it was successful. And I can fully use my i7 processor capabilities unlike my previous original charger (it got busted two years ago but i was still able to use my laptop till 2 days ago) but I read from other forum posts that it's not good to use a lower amp charger than your laptop's required amp. Is it still advisable to use my new charger? The laptop repair shop here told me I can still use it  coz the technician checked the bottom part of the laptop and it showed that the laptop can use either the 65W 3.2A, 90W 4.6A and my previous 130W 6.7A charger. It'll take longer to charge the battery (which the laptop shows every time it starts up). Hope you guys can enlighten me regarding this situation. Thank you so much.

BTW I live in the Philippines so yeah, the original ones or OEMs are much, much expensive than the replacement ones.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 17th, 2014 05:00

As you know, it's not a good idea to use a lower power adapter than what was supplied with the system.  Though it won't damage the notebook, you may see the adapter fail early (it may overheat) and you likely will not see the full level of performance from the CPU (the i7 CPU is half of the reason the system needs a 130W adapter - the other half is the discrete video chip in the system).

2 Posts

July 17th, 2014 06:00

Yeah. I just arrived from the mall and am now currently using the laptop. I'll try to stress test the charger by playing extensive games that i usually have low FPS because of the really slow 700mhz from my previous charger. I tried using a PSP emulator which really requires a fast laptop specs and i only had a few hiccups at the video startup of the game, but when i played it, it was smooth. Hopefully the charger would last because i can't afford to buy another one yet..

No Events found!