p_S_92
2 Bronze

Using dual monitors with Inspiron 17R

Jump to solution

I will be traveling for few weeks and will be taking my laptop (Inspiron 17R). I am used to dual monitor set up in office. From http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19387521  I understand if I had a NVidia or another graphic card, this was possible. But, mine just has the default Intel HD graphic card.

1. Can my Intel HD graphic card support dual monitors?

2. If so, which monitors would it support? Can most Dell/HP monitors work with it? My Inspiron 17R has a HDMI port only.

3. If not, how difficult it is to upgrade the graphic card? I am wondering if it is worth it for few weeks of travel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
8 Xenon

RE: Using dual monitors with Inspiron 17R

Jump to solution

1.  Yes - two simultaneous displays only - i.e., the internal screen plus one external.

2.  Anything with an HDMI input (or HDMI to DVI, etc. converter.

3.  Not possible short of a complete mainboard replacement.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

1.  Yes - two simultaneous displays only - i.e., the internal screen plus one external.

2.  Anything with an HDMI input (or HDMI to DVI, etc. converter.

3.  Not possible short of a complete mainboard replacement.

View solution in original post

p_S_92
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks ejn63,

4. Can it support two external monitors so that I could get two 24inch monitors? I realize the internal screen would be blank.

5. I understand Inspiron 17R  has only one HDMI port but can a HDMI splitter be used to support two external monitors?

I appreciate your prompt assistance and advice.

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

There are HDMI splitters, yes -- and you should be able to drive two displays with the same image on them using one.  That said, don't plan on this being a high performance setup -- for simple displays it'll work but if you try to display two videos at a time, you may run into performance problems.

0 Kudos
p_S_92
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks ejn63,

I appreciate all your advice and time.

I am sorry for the delay in responding. I was travelling outside the country.

Thank you again. It is people like you who make the support forums a great place for advice.

0 Kudos