Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 21st, 2013 08:00

VLC Media Player WARNING

Note that this is a Legacy FAQ and contains information that is no longer current. See the Update below for current status.

Dell Tech Support is denying warranty service for speaker damage if the popular VLC Media Player is installed on a Dell laptop. Also we got a report that service was denied because a KMPlayer was installed on a laptop. The warranty remains valid on the other parts of the laptop.

VLC has a feature that can make the audio seem louder than other players. VLC achieves this by using a process that creates hard clipping (see below in this thread for explanation) which can damage small speakers. Dell has tested VLC and verified that the speakers can be damaged after several hours of using VLC. I believe that HP (Hewlett Packard) also says that VLC damage is not covered under its warranty.

If you choose to use the VLC player, it is suggested that you do not set the volume higher than 100% in order to avoid potential damage to the speakers. If you contact Tech Support about a speaker problem, it is suggested that you do not have the player installed.

If you have already been denied warranty service for a speaker problem only because you have the VLC player, please see the next post which is marked "Verified Answer". Send DELL - Terry B a private message. The way to do that is to click on his link, which is his name in blue letters. That will take you to his profile page where you can click on "send a private message" or "add as friend".

UPDATE 1-27-2016

As of 3-3-2014 the exclusion no longer applied to models that have Windows 8 or 8.1. The exclusion still applied to Windows 7 systems that did not have the latest audio driver and BIOS installed.

The current version of the VLC Media Player boosts audio to only 125%, not the 200-400% of earlier versions, so the issue might be moot now anyway. (Note that there might still be a risk if you use software to boost the volume over 100%. Dell recommends to not go over 90%.)

UPDATE 6-16-2017

Within the last year we have received a couple of reports of owners being denied service again. My guess is there are a few service reps out there who didn't get the word that the exclusion no longer is supposed to be enforced. Best advice is to remove all media players except Windows Media Player before seeking warranty service for speakers.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 26th, 2013 06:00

Hello. Because you are out of warranty, you can go to any competent computer repair shop. The Dell carry-in service center is

Gurgaon Nm-15, 1st Floor, Old DLF Colony, Sector-14, Gurgaon - 122 002, Haryana. (Landmark:  Near Kalyani Hospital) 0124-4047625 Sunday 9:30AM - 6:30PM

If you need the Service Manual for your Inspiron 15R N5110, it is here. Click on the "more languages" button to have the manual in the language of your choice. The Service Manual shows you how to dis-assemble the laptop and how to replace the speakers. It is a simple process for a person experienced with working in laptop computers, but not brief because most of the laptop must be dis-assembled in order to get to the speakers. You can buy replacement speakers from a variety of sources. This is an example.

As far as software solutions, you said that the speaker "gets damage". If you mean that the speaker is physically damaged then there is not a software solution. You should connect headphones to the headphone jack and listen. Lower the volume of the VLC player to 100% or lower. Do not exceed 100%.  If the sound coming through the headphones is normal but is distorted when you listen to the speakers, then most probably a speaker is damaged.

A suggestion: you could set your balance control so that sound only comes out of the left speaker, but if you do that then you will not hear the right channel of stereo content. [To change the balance: right click on the audio icon on the taskbar. Select Playback devices. Select "Speakers/Headphones". Click the "Properties" button. Select the "Levels" tab. Click the "Balance" button and slide the sliders.]

3 Posts

August 28th, 2013 08:00

Hi Terry,

I have shoot you a private message. Please help me in getting this resolved.

1 Message

September 11th, 2013 00:00

sir i have the same problem that i am not getting servicing from dell due to vlc player installed on my notebook....instead i didn't used it anyways...so please sir kindly help me so that i can get my speakers replaced......i will be highly thankful to you....!!!!!!!!!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 11th, 2013 07:00

.so please sir kindly help me so that i can get my speakers replaced

Hello nehalirshad.

Send DELL - Terry B a private message. The way to do that is to click on his name in the blue letters. That will take you to his profile page where you can click on "send a private message" or "add as friend".

In your message include your contact information, the service tag of the notebook and any case numbers that tech support may have offered. Terry B will investigate further.

1 Message

September 18th, 2013 06:00

Hi Terry,

I was out-rightly denied the warranty as soon as the customer care executive confirmed that I have VLC Installed, without even bothering to go further to look into the issue. I have sent you the complete details in PM please revert.

September 28th, 2013 07:00

Hi terry,

please help me get my laptop speaker done same reasons of vlc player which was not used but warranty is void. Service tag  (andheri, mumbai, india)

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 28th, 2013 08:00

please help me get my laptop speaker done same reasons of vlc player which was not used but warranty is void.

Hello. To communicate your request to Terry, send DELL - Terry B a private message. The way to do that is to click on his name in the blue letters. That will take you to his profile page where you can click on "start conversation", "send a private message" or "add as friend".

In your message include your contact information, the service tag of the notebook and any case numbers that tech support may have offered. Terry B will investigate further.

1 Message

September 30th, 2013 22:00

Thanks For Share It.

107 Posts

October 10th, 2013 15:00

Why may i ask is KMPlayer a problem. It does not boost the audio like VLC  at all.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 10th, 2013 18:00

Why may i ask is KMPlayer a problem.

Hello. I can't say what the thinking was at Tech Support, if any.

My reason for including mention of it was completeness. In light of that information, a cautious person might feel it prudent to remove all players except Windows Media Player before contacting Support.

107 Posts

October 10th, 2013 19:00

Fair enough ;-)

i can see their point that there might be an issue with VLC re the volume boost but my point is that there is no such issue with KMP. It does have a normalisation option but that is something quite different. Dell would be on very shakey ground from a legal perspective denying a warranty on the basis of KMP. It could be said that windows media player or even power dvd is the same. VLC I can understand and i would never use it over 100%.

Besides in order to deny a warranty even on the basis of a VLC installation they would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that VLC has indeed been used over 100% and that such use has damaged the system. Moreover the customer would have had to be contracted within their warranty not to use such software explicitly before purchase and have had to be made aware of such clause and understood it. Such a clause would also have to be deemed reasonable or  would be deemed invalid and unreasonable in various EU countries by means of consumer contract law.

October 11th, 2013 10:00

I got the same problem in my dell laptop. One side speaker get damaged but I haven't used any VLC player. I think dell team should be look at this matter about the speaker because I just completed 2 year of my laptop and speaker gets damaged without any VLC software.

3 Posts

October 12th, 2013 04:00

i am facing this problem (speaker problem), at the time of purchase they don't aware customers not to use other software and when something mishappend then their customer care try to make fool customers that you should not use this type of software.

Before using the Dell laptop i know DELL as a big brand and Now i know DELL as a big fraud who are not loyal about their products.

I want to aware all people that please don't use DELL products.

27 Posts

October 12th, 2013 17:00

This is pure unadulterated BULLSHIIT!

As a Global Director of Engineering for a fortune 500 Federally regulated MEDICAL Device company, with a Masters in Electrical Engineering, owner of an Engineering consulting firm, 20 years in the Engineering sector, I call BULLSHIIT.

Period.

1) "Hard clipping" will not render the audio legible.

2) "Hard clipping" or not, a speaker device CANNOT be damaged by distorting the sound wave itself. Use some common sense!

You have to literally change the bias current in the transistor to push the device in to "breakdown" in which case it merely does not amplify any more (also called 1dB compression point) or shuts down. It does not "Blow up" and it does not "over heat". There are a billion cheap safety protocols in place. Dell is not stupid to let their electronics "blow" up. We are not in the age of vacuum tube triodes.

This is panic mongering.

I would not be surprised if "Jimco" is from a rival software company trying to get an edge over VLC. VLC is the best media player out there, I play videos on it with 200% volume on 5 laptops, never had a problem.

I demand this charlatan be removed from these forums!

27 Posts

October 12th, 2013 17:00

Any laptop speaker problems can occur because of multiple reasons. It is not because of using a particular software program.

Its like your eyes went blind. It did not go blind because you were watching too much ***. Get it?

No Events found!