complaints
1 Copper

Re: Vertical line on Inspiron 9300

I also have a 9300 and it started to develop vertical lines at 3 years and 3 months. This is a known issue and Dell is at fault(in collusion with Nvidia). However, it is my problem. Because this started after their extended warranty expired, I am stuck with it. I refuse to replace the screen. That just makes more money for the perpetrators.

Mine started with one line and has progressed over a period of months. I Last week I had 23 lines of various colors on the left side of the screen. Now, the problem has jumped the center line and I have four additional lines on the right side. Although I would like to replace the laptop, (with a competitor's brand) I cannot afford to at this time, so I am left with looking at this screen daily and being more and more furious with Dell, who will not fix a known issue. Just check on Nvidia and see how they continued to sell this stuff after knowing there was a problem. I can only assume Dell knew also. I payed over $1700.00 for this equipment and am truly appalled by how consumers are constantly being ripped off.

0 Kudos
austin78704
1 Copper

I also have this problem. My vertical lines started to appear about 2 years ago (after the warranty) and at the time I could live with the lines, but now the lines are increasing, and it's becomming annoying. I've checked and it will cost approx. $500.00 to fix.  Like you I don't want to pay that, but I might have too. If I buy a new notebook, what do I do with the current notebook (Inspiron 9200)? Any suggestions? Have you found a new notebook yet to buy, and from whom?

0 Kudos
austin78704
1 Copper

I have the same problem (vertical lines on my Inspiron 9200) as you do. Did you do one of the suggested options, and if you did which one?  (1) You can purchase a replacement LCD from us either from our Spare Parts department and replace the screen yourself or have a 3rd party install it for you. (2) you can purchase a replacement service option from our Out of Warranty group who can arrange for the part to be installed by one of our contract technicians. (3) you can purchase the LCD from a 3rd party, such as ebay or a local computer supply company. I'm leaning toward option (3). I live in Austin, Texas and I've found a "local computer supply company" who can replace the LCD, but it will cost approx. $500.00 to $600.00. That is a lot of money for me, but I'm afraid I might have to "bite the bullet" and pay the price. I can't live without my notebook computer, because it is the only computer I have. I've been using it as a desk top. I'm also worried that once I have the LCD replaced what is the chance the replacement LCD will eventually develop vertical lines. Option (4) not mentioned by Dell is buy a new notebook from a different company. If I do that I'll have to transfer all my files from the Inspiron 9200 to the new notebook, but I'll have to see if the "local computer company" will do that for me. If I do buy my a new non-Dell notebook, what do I do with the "old" Insprion 9200? If I just toss it I'll be throwing away approx. $1,700, and that will just make my blood pressure go through the roof.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jude1986
1 Copper

I own a 9300 in which dell replaced my screen that had a verticle line in 2007, its been fine ever since and has been a great computer. I also had an apple powerbook G4 17 inch in which they used the same screen as the dells and of course my apple got a verticle line also and they would not do anything. at least dell admitted to the problem and created a program to fix it where apple has not and will not acknoledge the problem and the people who bought the apples paid through the roof. Iam still very pleased with my 9300 and i feel that dell support isn't that bad.

0 Kudos
k711
1 Copper

I have a 9300 that is over 4 years old and recently got the vertical lines. It started with one and with in a month or so I now have three. I called DELL when the first line appeared and they told me it would be 49.00 dollars to start the process to fix the problem since my warranty expired a long time ago. After finding this Forum and reading that I am not the only one with this problem I called DELL again today. I got the same answer from the tech support guy, telling me that it was going to cost me to fix the problem and he would transfer me to the repair center. Before he hung up I tried one last time to plead my case and told him that I found this Forum and that I know that a lot of people have experienced this same problem. He asked to put me on hold and after a few minuets he came back and said that they would replace the screen free of charge and I would be getting a box in the mail in the next couple of days to send my computer back to DELL in. He said that it normally takes around 6 working days from the time I mail my computer to get it back. So if you have this problem don't give up, it seems that if you get the right representative  and say the right things you can get them to fix this problem at no charge.

0 Kudos
DC123456789
1 Copper

I have an Inspiron 9300 with the vertical lines. They appeared about 1.5 years ago, but I couldn't find any recall information then. Now my laptop is out of the 3 year wind so Dell wants to charge $500 for a replacement. Do you know who you talked to? I refered to this forum, but just got the standard "its out of the 3-year warranty, you have to pay, its our policy" answer.

0 Kudos
granniebee
1 Copper

Can you please share the phone number to Dell - the only one I have is the one where they will charge you $49.

I have the same problem as everyone else.  My lines started appearing one month after my warranty was up - now I

have about 70 of them!

0 Kudos
k711
1 Copper

The tech that I talked to that finally agreed to replace my screen gave me his email address, I posted it a while ago and Dell flagged my posting and sent me a warning letter stating that I didn't comply with the agreed terms of this site and if I did it again they would take me off this site. My advise is to keep trying and you will probably be on the phone at least a half an hour each time you try and it will be very frustrating talking to the techs in India, but if you get the right one that says yes it will be worth it.   

0 Kudos
sal09
1 Copper

My Inspiron 9300 (purchased back in 04/05) started having vertical lines just this week, so I read up on the forums regarding Tech Support.  I decided to give them a call today, fully prepared to wrestle with the techs since my laptop is over 4 yrs old and my warranty is long expired, but to my surprise! - I ended having an extremely pleasant conversation, albeit an almost hour long call.  Here's the gist of my interaction:

- Resource: http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2007/04/09/10675.aspx

- Contacted Tech Support at # provided on page

- Have express service number ready (provided on white sticker on bottom of laptop)

- Asked to speak to an agent (ignore $49 fee)

- Explained situation and got put on hold and transferred to a repair tech

- Was told my warranty was expired (true, back in 2006, actually) ... If you don't know your warranty, check your system info and enter service tag # at: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?c=us&cs=rc956904&l=en&s=hied

- Explained that yes, my warrenty is expired, but there was a known screen default that was documented in 2007 regarding laptops shipped between 2004-2006 on the Direct2Dell website, and my screen did not show lines until now

- Was put on hold while repair tech went to check information regarding the issue

- Tech came back and said that it was indeed covered - a prepaid empty box will be sent for me to send in my laptop.  He also took the liberties to explain how to removed the hard drive and battery, if I should like to keep my information private.  Tech logged the case # and service info, then told me that his manager would like to speak to me regarding the issue, since his manager was concerned.

- Got transferred to manager (I was a little apprehensive, honestly) who very politely verified that they provided help regarding the issue, thanked me for my time, and wished me a good day.

Aaaannd, that's it.  Box should be here in a few days, and I will be crossing my fingers that there are no other problems regarding this current problem.  Tech did try to sell me an extended warrenty, but I understand that's part of his job, and he wasn't being pushy, just informative.

0 Kudos
Gary Serio
1 Copper

After years of trying, I was able to receive a replacement display.  Be persistent and ask to be transferred to Customer Relations in Texas.

0 Kudos