Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2013 13:00

Vertical lines, ever 2nd line is white, external screen look ok, spareparts?

Hi

I got a Dell XPS m1530 laptop which have served me well even with the infamous gpu problem - until yesterday.

The problem is that I have a bunch of vertical lines (one good line of pixels, one bad, one good, etc).

I dropped the computer a few hours before, it ran fine for a few hours, then this happened while the computer just stood still, no screen moving action or anything.

So I opened my laptop today since I've seen some similar problems with screens in my job, where often it depends on loose internal wires, but

i checked all the connections (2 on motherboard, 2 on back of lcd panel) with no difference. 

I have a external screen connected via the HDMI port, and it looks just fine (so the gpu shouldn't be bad I hope), and this line-madness is visible direct at boot, had some other problems and re installed windows today, but it looks the same ofc, so there has to be some hardware error.

So I wonder, unless you have any good free tips, you know if this is caused by a bad lcd panel, bad invertors or maybe something else?

Thankful for answers.

2.6K Posts

October 14th, 2013 13:00

Hello SuperAnkan,

There are couple of steps that can be tried which would isolate the cause of failure:

1. Run the LCD Built-In Self-Test (BIST).
  2. Test the LCD in the BIOS Setup. To enter the computer BIOS Setup, restart the computer and at the Dell logo screen, tap until the message Entering Setup appears.

If you observe the same issue on the setup screen or during the LCD Bist, consider replacing the LCD screen. For more details please check the article on Resolving Laptop LCD Lines, Fuzzy, Color, or Blurry Issues.

Moreover, it is an accidental damage. This problem needs depot /technicians assistance. In Depot they would diagnose the computer and replace the parts accordingly. Please contact our Expired Warranty Services (this is for US based customers).

Hope this helps!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 14th, 2013 16:00

A damaged LCD is more likely given the impact, but these nVidia chips have been known to fail in such a way as only the internal screen shows the fault (the external is clear).

Try replacing the LCD first.

2 Posts

October 15th, 2013 03:00

Hi, and thanks for a quick and good answer.

I ran the BIST test, and to my surprise the lines on the panels are not visible during the test.

As soon as the test is done and the regular boot sequence begins, the problem starts...tricky.

What does this mean? 

Have a good one.

2.6K Posts

October 15th, 2013 17:00

Hello Superankan,

Thank you for replying. Since the lines are not visible during the test, I would request you to check if the issue persists in BIOS Setup. To enter the computer BIOS Setup, restart the computer and at the Dell logo screen, tap until the message Entering Setup appears. If you see the lines on BIOS Setup, please consider replacing the LCD Screen. 

No Events found!