Highlighted
p5aul789
1 Nickel

Very faint LCD display

I have a Dell Inspiron M4050 that had a cracked screen. I have replaced the screen with a second hand one.

However the display is very faint and barely readable.

I have searched online and found that this is either an issue with the screen or the inverter.

I cannot find an inverter on this model.

Am I right in assuming that it's attached to the rear of the screen?

Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Very faint LCD display

Hi p5aul789,

Thanks for posting.

There are several different screens available for that model. Be sure you've purchased the correct screen. You may be able to find what you need from www.parts-people.com.

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
p5aul789
1 Nickel

Thanks for your reply. However, you haven't answered my question!

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

There is no inverter in any screen for this model - all use LED backlights (inverters are used only for CCFL backlights, which disappeared from notebooks several years ago).

Is the replacement screen identical to the original, or at minimum one known to be compatible with this system model?  Check with the vendor -- you can't replace screens by specification - notebooks are coded to work with only those screens the manufacturer (Wistron in this case) installs at the factory.

If the screen IS known to be compatible with this system model, it could be the screen is faulty -- but the other possibility is more likely.  That would be that the mainboard is bad (the power to the screen is routed through the mainboard).

0 Kudos