Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2016 12:00

Very slow start at Dell logo

My Insprion 5521 was originally purchased with Win 8. Later i upgraded to Win 10 Home. For a while, startup seemed normal. Lately however, startup at the Dell logo before Windows is extremely slow! ( 60 to 90 seconds sometimes longer ).  This is not Win updates! Has anyone any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 27th, 2016 16:00

:emotion-2:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If there isn't any error code then I suggest you disable some of the programs in startup - Task Manager).

At left bottom of taskbar, right click window logo, task manager, and then startup.

How To Use Task Manager (Official Dell Tech Support)

https://youtu.be/aYtJ02tAAJc

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

I'd suggest you run Dell Preboot diagnostic tool on your computer. The tool will scan for any possible hardware issue that might be causing the slow boot time.

1. Power off computer

2. Power on computer, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously. You should be in the diagnostic screen. After you run the quick tests, run a 'Thorough' test on the hard drive. Please report back any error code.

https://youtu.be/WDpvQ3qwy1c

November 12th, 2016 04:00

All tests show nothing wrong. The delay only seems to be during the Dell logo. Once it appears Windows is starting, everything goes normally. There is one other problem that may or may not be related. One day the computer would not start at all. After trying everything I could think of, I decided to take it to someone beyond my expertise. When I pulled the power cord out of the computer, It started right up!!! It has happened a numerous times since. It also appears everything starts faster on battery!??? Why do these things happen after my extended warrantee  runs out? I have a power supply from a previous Dell that appears to have the same specs. I am going to give it a try. It may take a few days to be sure.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 12th, 2016 06:00

Also.....

check AC adapter's brick and socket are firmly connected to each other, furthermore check the ID pin in the center of the connector tip to ensure it is not bent or missing. Please click on link below:

www.dell.com/.../SLN148385  

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Before you install the power supply, I'd suggest you check status of AC adapter and battery in the BIOS.

1. Power off computer. Please make sure AC adapter is connected to computer and disconnect all peripherals - printer, external drive, flash drive, etc).

2. Power on computer, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously. You should be in the BIOS.

In the main tab, look for option that says AC adapter type, if the adapter type says 'none' or 'unknown' then it's an issue with the adapter which most likely needs to be replace with a new one. Note: You can wiggle the adapter's end point while checking it in the BIOS or disconnect adapter and then connect it back in.

In the Advanced tab, stroll down to 'Battery Health', it should say "battery is performing normally". If there's any other message then it's most likely battery is faulty and needs to be replace with a new one.

www.dell.com/.../en

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

EDIT:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 12th, 2016 07:00

" All tests show nothing wrong. The delay only seems to be during the Dell logo. Once it appears Windows is starting, everything goes normally"

How many programs are running in the system's startup? You had a chance to check and disable some of the programs in startup - Task Manager? Anyway possible you can provide a screen shot of the programs in your startup?

support.microsoft.com/.../windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

No Events found!