Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2011 07:00

Video Card Not Being Recognized

Just did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro on a Dell XPS 15 laptop. Installed the latest driver for the Nvidia GeForce GT 420M video card.
In Device Manager it is showing as installed and working properly. But when I go to the Desktop to adjust the screen resolution, the card doesn't appear.
All I'm shown is the "Generic PnP Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter".
I'm assuming there should be an option for the Nvidia card and its associated settings. Where am I going wrong?
Thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Be sure you have installed:

The Dell notebook system software

The chipset driver

The video driver

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

support.dell.com -- under System Utilities.  Without it in place, chances are the video driver did not properly install.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

It may be necessary to go back and reload Windows.  The very first driver that MUST be loaded after the OS is the Dell notebook system software.  Then load the chipset driver - THEN load everything else.

25 Posts

Chipset and video drivers are both installed. 
I don't know about the Dell notebook system software.  What is that?

25 Posts

Ugh!  Let's hope not.  If so, live and learn. . .:emotion-6:

25 Posts

Thank you.  I see it now.  I'll download and install it and let you know if that was the problem. :emotion-1:

25 Posts

January 3rd, 2011 08:00

Installed the System Software driver.  I don't see any difference, good or bad.  Still not gaining access to the nVidia card, just the onboard graphics card, even though the Device Manager says the nVidia is installed and functioning correctly.

25 Posts

January 3rd, 2011 09:00

I didn't know that.  I went and plugged in the laptop but still the nVidia card isn't give as an option when I right click on the desktop and try and adjust the screen resolution.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 3rd, 2011 09:00

Remember, the nVidia chip is only used when it's needed - and generally only on AC power.

25 Posts

January 3rd, 2011 18:00

I'm obviously doing something wrong.  I reinistalled the OS, followed by installing the Dell Systems Utility and the chipset driver.  Then I installed the nVidia driver, taken off the Dell Drivers and Downloads page.  It installed without any errors.

But now, when I right click on the desktop>screen resolution, the only display option offered is the Generic PnP Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.  No indication that the nVidia card exists.
However, under Device Manager>Display adapters, it lists the NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M.  Device status says the device is working properly.

So, how do I access this card and its capabilities to take advantage of the 1080p screen?

25 Posts

January 4th, 2011 07:00

Update:
Uninstalled the video driver that Dell provides on their website. Then I went to nVidia and downloaded and installed their latest driver for my specific card. Received this message: "This graphics drive could not find compatible graphics hardware".
Now I'm thinking this isn't a driver issue but a hardware issue.
Bad card? Card never installed at the factory?
Anyone??

7 Posts

January 10th, 2011 17:00

I have the same problem. I have installed windows 7 pro x64 and all driveres following "Driver Install Instructions". Can someone help us please ?

No Events found!