Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 2nd, 2011 14:00

Video on Dell Precision M4300

Hi.  I have a Dell Dimension Precision M4300, service tag < ADMIN NOTE : Service tag removed per privacy policy >.  When I got it it had a pirated version of Windows 7 Ultimate.  I purchased a legal copy of Windows 7 Home Premium and installed it with no trouble.  The machine works fine, except when I try to run Minecraft it says it won't run because it doesn't detect a video card with OpenGL capability. 

The Device Manager only shows a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, which I think means Windows isn't detectng the adapter.  It says the driver is up to date.

The original system specifications on file with Dell don't seem to spell it out eiher (BTW - clicking on"View my products and services" is painfuly slow. It actually timed out on me!).  I used a couple of 'freeware' programs to report on the system; they don't add anything.

Any idea how I can 1) find out what graphics adapter I have and 2) install a driver that supports OpenGL?

This is the info on the display adapter provided by WinAudit:

Item Value
Device Type Display adapters
Device Name  
Description Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
Manufacturer (Standard display types)
Location PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0
Driver Provider Microsoft
Driver Version 6.1.7600.16385
Driver Date 6-21-2006
Status Code 0
Status Message OK
Class GUID {4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_042D&SUBSYS_01FF1028&REV_A1\4&5C1804B&0&0008

Help would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

August 2nd, 2011 15:00

BROnstott,

The Device ID shows that the display adapter is the Quadro FX 360 M (Mobile) (see: pcidatabase.com/search.php).  The driver for that device is available from support.dell.com for Vista and XP.  For Windows 7, you can find the display driver for that device directly from NVidia's website (www.nvidia.com/.../notebook-win7-winvista-275.33-whql-driver.html).

Hope this helps.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 2nd, 2011 15:00

You need to install the video driver.  Before you do that there are other drivers that MUST be installed first.

The Dell notebook system software and chipset drivers must be installed.  Then install the video driver.

14 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 08:00

Thanks.  Just for my information, how did you go from what I posted to the PCIdatabase (which I didn't know existed - thanks).  Was it just the DEV_042D in the device ID?

August 3rd, 2011 09:00

That is correct.  If you enter 042D for your device search at pcidatabase.com it will give you the description of the device.

Were you able to find a graphics driver that worked for what you needed?

14 Posts

August 6th, 2011 08:00

Thank you very much.  I was able to download the drivers and that solved the problem.

No Events found!