Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2010 13:00

Video problems after installing Windows 7 32 bit

I have a Studio 1555 with the Intel video chipset.  I upgraded from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit and the only problem I am experiencing so far is the video.  Anytime I open an application or click on the desktop the pictures and text become garbled.  I have downloaded the latest driver from Dell.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

1.8K Posts

February 4th, 2010 07:00

I'm assuming that you didn't have any problems with your video prior to your upgrade so your hardware works fine?  If that is the case you may want to post your question in the Software and Operating System section.  You'll find more discussion, and answers, about software / OS problems there. 

5.2K Posts

February 4th, 2010 13:00

The Dell 64-bit driver is for Vista and is a year old. Try Intel for a Windows 7 driver for your video.

904 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 02:00

Hi

When you are Upgrading your windows is it a clean installation?

First remove the older video driver by going to the 'Uninstall Programs' and removing the video application, after that restart the system.

Then Try installing the latest drivers.

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 02:00

I too have been having the same problem.

Since updating my Dell studio 17, I've had problems with my video play. Like you've said it makes everything garbled, so it cannot be read. It seems to get worse the more I try to watch my own videos. I have updated my video drivers to the most updated versions, but this does not sort it! 

aalberk, Have you been able to sort this out over the past year?

Has anyone been able to find a solution to this problem? 

Thanks

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 03:00

Hi Telson,

I'm not sure whether my upgrade was a 'clean installation' as it was a  while ago now. Also, checking in the device manager, it says I only have one display adaptor; Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

Whilst in the 'Uninstall Programs' window, it says I have an 'Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver'. Is that the one I have to uninstall? Also, by uninstalling these, would that not mean my display will not function?

Thank you for the help, I really need it.

904 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 03:00

Hi Telson,

I'm not sure whether my upgrade was a 'clean installation' as it was a  while ago now. Also, checking in the device manager, it says I only have one display adaptor; Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

Whilst in the 'Uninstall Programs' window, it says I have an 'Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver'. Is that the one I have to uninstall? Also, by uninstalling these, would that not mean my display will not function?

Thank you for the help, I really need it.

Yes uninstall it, and it will ask you to restart.

You display will funtion, windows will install its basic drivers.

After the restart reinstall the driver with setup you downloaded.

4 Posts

January 25th, 2011 09:00

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, but the problem still exists.

Would it be my graphics card? The performance index gives it a 3.4, where everything else is a 5.4!

904 Posts

January 25th, 2011 10:00

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, but the problem still exists.

Would it be my graphics card? The performance index gives it a 3.4, where everything else is a 5.4!

Internal graphics cards rarely goes bad, have you restarted the system before reinstalling the driver?, do not install the dell driver, let windows 7 install its driver for your card. 

4 Posts

January 25th, 2011 11:00

I've done what you've said, but still did not work. I had a look on other threads, to see whether I could find out more about the issues. The thread below has pages of chatter about the matter,

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19303549.aspx

I tried their suggestion of Windows Basic, instead of Aero. So far, it is working very well. I've had no issues with any of my videos, pictures or documents. I'll just have to put up with the 'basic' look. 

Thank you for your help Telson. 

No Events found!