Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

C

January 31st, 2009 11:00

Virtual Memory

Hello I am asking for some help from any one can. I have 1000 inspiron laptop, which I've recently change the hard drive, and every time it boots up i am getting Windows-Virtual Memory too low, cna anyone explain what is the cause and how I can correct the problem.

Thanks in advance.

6.4K Posts

January 31st, 2009 12:00

Windows XP?  If so, go to your computer properties (Start, right click My Computer), click Properties, Advanced tab, Settings button in the Performance section, Advanced tab in the Performance box, Change button in the Virtual Memory section, and set virtual memory to what you desire.  You can also click System Managed if you would like Windows to figure it out.

Virtual memory is where Windows puts the paging file it uses to swap data to when it runs out of physical memory.  If you don't have enough, Windows is forced to make smaller pieces out of the data it needs to swap and usually increases the activity on the hard drive.  Not dangerous, but it does mean it is taking longer to accomplish the task than might otherwise be necessary.

No Events found!