Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 20th, 2011 15:00

Virus on Inspiron mini Windows 7

I have AVG antivirus on my notebook and it  caught and quaranteened a virus but my laptop is still acting weird and crashing mostly when I'm online.   I also had several programs that would run during start up.  I disabled all of the except AVG.  What else should I try?  Could I still have a virus?  Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 20th, 2011 15:00

What was initially detected? I hear AVG isn't as good just now as it used to be. Try downloading and installing the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Then update it and run a full scan. You may need some of the startup programs.

In addition try download the installer for Microsoft Security Essentials and the Latest Security Definition. Uninstall AVG, reboot then install Microsoft Security Essentials and then the latest definition. Run a full system scan.

Also run Piriform CCleaner & Piriform Defraggler.

15 Posts

September 20th, 2011 17:00

Thanks! I will do that.

September 20th, 2011 19:00

I suggest btw, that you should do the scan in Windows safe mode.

2 Posts

September 21st, 2011 11:00

download Microsoft Essentials, free virus checker from Microsoft, it caught some of stuff on my Dell mini. 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx  --all other antivirus has to be turned of to run this, and the firewall has to be on.

I tried this after a few of the Dell Techs told me it was the only thing They used.  You do not define "acting weird" very clearly, but if still "weird", go to dell.com and download the latest bios for your computer and It might help clear up any "non-interfacing" drivers.  Also, make sure your Windows updates are all done, and cruise the other driver downloads at Dell to see if there are any "Important Updates" your computer might not have installed on it,  that you might need.

Good luck, hope it helps,

p.dc

No Events found!