Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

C

8 Posts

August 19th, 2007 17:00

Vostro 1000 Audio In Problems

Hi,
Ive just purchased a Vostro 1000. Ive tried plugin an audio device in through the line in socket but theres no sound through the PC speakers. Ive checked all the sound options in Vista Home Basic, but all you have in Speakers/Headphones - Levels - is a speakers icon. Ive seen other laptops that have line in muted, but i cant even find a line in level.
Sound driver is - SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio

Would be grateful for your help

ps ive already tried downloading the latest driver on the dell site but that hasnt worked

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 10th, 2008 13:00

That is very interesting. To make sure I understand, you are using a Realtek XP audio driver in your Vostro 1000 and are able to monitor the  input now? Which driver is it? Thanks,

Jim 

5 Posts

September 10th, 2008 20:00

I DLed this Realtek AC97 audio driver package 4.05. (not a link)

I've used Realtek B4 ofcourse but always on my desktop. This is the first time reformatting my laptop and let me tell you it's quite different for me.

Anyway thats what i used there.

Hope this helps.

2 Posts

October 24th, 2008 22:00

Hi, I actually have a Vostros 1400, and it's been over a year now.

just a few hours ago, my laptop had sound, but later on at night (now)

the sound completely disappeared. I've tried the mute/unmute, making it louder, checking

the properties of the sound. nothing seems to work.

so i found this forum and didn't realize there were different i guess "sound names"

so i followed the direction and it did not work. then i figured out,

mine is: SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEc

how do i go about making the sound work again?

i also have vista.

please help! Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 28th, 2008 16:00

Sorry for the delay in responding; I have been having problems with my internet connection.

First try using System Restore to get the Registry back to a time before the problem first occurred. In Vista, type 'restore' into the Start menu search box, and System Restore will appear in the start menu. Pick a Restore Point earlier than the beginning of the problem.

Jim

2 Posts

October 29th, 2008 02:00

i've actually already done that and when i try to restore it back to two different updates vista had, it said error and it could not be down, then i  turned the computer on, it gave me a black screen. then i turned it off and on again and it gave me the "start (recommended)" thing and i did that and now its back to normal with NO sounds too =(

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 29th, 2008 12:00

Try listening through headphones. If you hear thru them then you might have a hardware malfunction preventing the signal from getting to the speakers. If nothing is coming through the headphones then try reinstalling the audio driver.

First delete the current audio driver files from your computer to ensure a clean new driver installation. Go to 'Computer>Uninstall or Change a Program' and remove the current "Sigmatel" if it is there in the list of programs and restart the computer.

If Sigmatel is not listed there, go to your hard drive
 c:\Dell\Drivers\R...(Sigmatel driver file name beginning with the letter R)
and delete the folder(s). Only delete folders whose 'R' names correspond to a Sigmatel driver. 

(An easier method but sometimes not as good, is to go to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager. Find the audio driver under Sound Controllers, right click on it, and then click Uninstall. Restart the computer. Windows should automatically detect your device and display a wizard that helps you reinstall the driver for it. If you do this then then disregard the next paragraph.)

Next download and install a new audio driver from the Vostro 1400 driver downloads page. When you open that page first check the operating system dropdown box and make sure that your OS is selected. Next expand the 'Audio' category and download the driver named Sigmatel. Follow the installation instructions.

Jim

6 Posts

December 28th, 2011 05:00

Hey i have a problem with my Dell vostoro 1000 .. it was suddenly few days ago the sound of speakers started to get distorted. I don't know what's the problem. and i truly need help. sometimes its fine and the sound coming up is perfect and sometimes its distorted HELP ME PLEASE

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 28th, 2011 07:00

Try re-installing your Sigmatel audio driver.  If that doesn't help then you probably have a hardware failure. Intermittent problems are usually in the hardware.

6 Posts

January 2nd, 2012 09:00

i re-installed it but the problem still persists. the sound gets distorted mainly when something is downloading, loading, or with browser.

I need a solution please

6 Posts

January 5th, 2012 05:00

i re-installed it but the problem still persists. the sound gets distorted mainly when something is downloading, loading, or with browser.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 5th, 2012 07:00

It is probably too late now but try using System restore to return the sysetm configuration to a date earlier than when the problem first appeared.  Using System Restore will not delete any data files.

In XP, go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore

and tick 'Restore my computer to an earlier time'.

6 Posts

January 5th, 2012 10:00

well after long loading it said "your computer cannot be restored" "no changes were made on your computer" what does that mean ??

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 5th, 2012 12:00

"No changes have been made to your computer " means that System Restore did nothing -- it did not complete the operation so it made no changes to your computer. It failed. There are a lot of possible reasons it failed if you want to google "System Restore failed".

I looked at the Dell drivers download page for your model  to see if anything has changed there recently that might have caused a problem. Most everything there is 3 years old or more, except Dell Client Management Pack which was updated in October 2011. But you said the problem just began a few days ago so i don't guess that is it.

All I can tell you is to restore the computer to the original factory configuration using PC Restore. Instructions are on page 155 of the Vostro 1000 Owner's Manual. If that does not fix the problem then it is in the hardware. Make sure to test the audio before updating anything, because it could be an update that caused the problem.

6 Posts

January 5th, 2012 13:00

will PC Restore delete all my files ??

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 5th, 2012 18:00

Yes, you would need to back up your files if you plan on using PC Restore. It might not fix your problem. If it does then it means the problem is in the software. If it doesn't fix it that means the problem is in the hardware.

BTW, PC Restore is just for Windows XP.  I assumed you have that operating system because you put "XP" in the tags.

No Events found!