Highlighted
vostrated
1 Copper

Vostro 1000 and RCA HDTV

Jump to solution

I'm trying to connect my Vostro 1000 to my HDTV. I have a VGA to HDMI cable connected but when I press Fn-F8, nothing happens.  My manual tells me it should toggle back and forth between the laptop and the external monitor or show both. I've got the sound figured out, now I just need a picture.  I'm getting no help from Dell support without paying and I'm sure there is some very simple solution.  Help!!!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
8 Xenon

RE: Vostro 1000 and RCA HDTV

Jump to solution

VGA is analog;  HDMI is digital.  You cannot make the connection with just a cable - you need an analog to digital converter.

For example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270363

Tags (3)
vostrated
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks EJ, now why wouldn't the tech support people tell me something as simple as that without wanting to charge me.  I'm no techie, just a grandpa trying to show his granddaughters a downloaded movie on a big screen tv.  Thanks again and I'll post the results when I get all the parts. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

VGA is analog;  HDMI is digital.  You cannot make the connection with just a cable - you need an analog to digital converter.

For example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270363

Tags (3)
vostrated
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks EJ, now why wouldn't the tech support people tell me something as simple as that without wanting to charge me.  I'm no techie, just a grandpa trying to show his granddaughters a downloaded movie on a big screen tv.  Thanks again and I'll post the results when I get all the parts. 

0 Kudos
vostrated
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks EJ, now why couldn't Dell tech support tell me something as simple as that without charging me?  I'm obviosly no techie, just a grandpa who wants to show his granddaughters a downloaded movie on a big screen tv.

0 Kudos